Fishing Kayaks,

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick-palmer1

Reaction score
Gday Everyone!

A mate of mine has recently got himself a fishing kayak, and after a weekend up at the lakes in tassie, i've decided to look into getting myself one.
Just wondering if anyone on here has one and what they like/dislike about theirs and what they would recommend i look for when I finally get one.
I went into Rays Outdoors this arvo an saw one called the 'Mission 390 Catch'
Didnt look to bad and at $999 it seems to be pretty well priced, I'll attach a link so you can check it out.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheer.

http://www.missionkayaking.com/shop/KAYAKS/FISHING/CATCH+390.html

One of the guys at my work has one. I don't know what brand tho. But the amount of fish he catches in the shallows has got to be seen to be belived. Good luck.

a mate has a hobie pro angler i think its called.
He loves it, but i reckon it cost him like 4g's

They look like awesome fun. ive moved in near the beach recently, been thinking of getting one for a while. Will be interested to see what comes up on this thead.

Hey there RC...I have had a few...the first one was a Hobie Outback,fully decked out with all the bells and whistles...Second one was a Hobie Revolution 13 decked out the same as the Outback...Sold both of these to buy my bike..
Next I had a Malibu Mini-X..Great little yak and really stable...Sold that and bought a Tarpon 100 for skinny water fishing and still have that...It's a fantastic yak but a bit small for fishing outside...I then bought a Prowler 13 which is stable and suitable for chasing fish out side in pretty bad seas...I have since sold that and now have a Hobie Revolution 11 which is a good yak but I think I will get rid of this and go back to a Revolution 13 as for me they just feel that little nose down and seem to sit better in the water but that could be because I'm a fat unit...
Whatever you decide it's always a good idea to not go out by yourself and always wear a life jacket and make sure you practice you re-entry onto the yak in deep water incase you get tipped out..

Cheers...Sparra

I spend a heap of time fishing from my kayak and canoe.
The cheapest end is the Seek and the more expensive is the Hobie, chalk and cheese.
Things to consider: your weight, the weight of the unit (1 guy will not lift a hobie onto the roof of a Nav), the amount of gear you want to carry (storage etc), sit on or sit in type (less sunburn with the sit in but harder to get in if you have bum knees or back), keel / rudder, type of water you are fishing (weedy still water / rapids, tight turns, the hobie has no reverse.
Personally I have an Australis Barra and an Australis Bass, both mid range sit ins, The Barra has a built in keel but the Bass has a better seat, both have sounders, rod and beer holders.
My mates have these and Deceptions, Seeks, Old towns (IMO the worst), Feel free plus a host of others.
I would buy a Hobie if they could go backwards (to get out of trees, we fish a lot of tight water) and if they draw less water (we also fish alot of weedy water).
I hope this helps, good luck and go for it, once you have a Kayak you will realise what you have been missing out on, cheers, John

Nice thanks for the fast replies fellas! I'm not looking to spend a fortune on one as i'm not sure how much use i will get out of it. I've also checked out the Ebay ones but the price to freight them over to tassie puts them on par with something i could get at a shop, If anyone has some suggestions as to what i need to look for when i buy one that would be good, im just not sure on the features that i will need, it will mostly be used in lakes chasing trout but maybe the odd salt water trip after a few flat head on a nice day. Cheers!

The level 1 type, Seek kayak, I have seen on sale at Annaconda for $199.00.
A few of the guys have these, they basic, light and a load rating of about 110 kg, by memory. The seat is not all that good, most guys modify it, remember we will be in it for 6-8 hrs at a time.
The 1 you picked on ebay, 2 of the guys have these, both these guys are big units, 130kg plus and they are happy with them. I have had a paddle of them and found I get a bit wet.
When you look at paddles pick a mid range type, a bit more comfy than the basic to use. you can also get an electric outboard for your kayak, BCF, again some of the guys have these, with a bit of work they work well.
If you want I will post some pics of 1 of my Kayaks.
Cheers, John

Hi nick I have a Finn couta fishing kayak for sale it has the feet steering, 6 rod holders, storage box,anchor system it's camo and only used in fresh water only selling as I upgraded looking to get 750 for it I'm in Hobart area if your interested ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377601309.205874.jpg

Should have checked this sooner! that one looks great! i went into rays today and got the Mission 390, took it for a quick paddle this arvo and im very happy with it, I'll ask around though as a couple of my mates have them now and surely more will be interested. Thanks anyway!

I have a hobie outback, love it! easy to load onto the Nav by myself and very stable. Before that I had a viking Nemo which was a good stater yak to see if I wanted to get right into yak fishing. If you can afford a hobie they are IMO the best all rounder and resale is good on them aswell.

We've got a Hobie and currently looking for a Wilderness Systems Tarpon if anyone knows of one for sale. It's a pretty cool style of fishing, get a bit of exercise and complements the boat as it gives us more options when the weather is bad.

We've got a Hobie and currently looking for a Wilderness Systems Tarpon if anyone knows of one for sale. It's a pretty cool style of fishing, get a bit of exercise and complements the boat as it gives us more options when the weather is bad.

I will second that

With the 'Hobie' you pay half for the name. End of the day they all most likely come out of china.... We all know the stuff they comes out of china has a great GP on it. (I don't work for BCF but have a good idea on what kind of mark up they have.)

With the 'Hobie' you pay half for the name. End of the day they all most likely come out of china.... We all know the stuff they comes out of china has a great GP on it. (I don't work for BCF but have a good idea on what kind of mark up they have.)
Wrong. Johnno48 is correct, they are from USA. The mirage drive system is excellent.

Nothing wrong with the cheaper BCF kayaks for the casual user. However they don't come with seats, paddles, hatches, rod holders, straps, trolley, etc. which are all standard on other brands. Plastic is also a lot thinner vs. other kayaks. Chalk and cheese and pays to do a bit of research before making generalised comments.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back