No power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steedjo

Reaction score
Hi

Was just driving up the road with the tandem on as I've done plenty of times, then all of the sudden no power at all. Checked air filter, checked all connections etc that I can see no oil leaks and plenty of oil on the dipstick. Can't pump fuel filter as there is no pump on top but car has half a tank of fuel from Caltex so shouldn't be that. Any ideas?

Cheers,

You're missing either air or fuel

Air: Have a look for either boost leaks, like the plastic pipe on the intercooler has come off, or look at the vacuum lines around the top of the turbo.

Fuel: Suction control valve (This usually causes more intermittent problems over a long period of time)

Have you got a OBD2 scan tool to check for any ECU codes ?

Does it start easily, as it usually would? That rules out a blockage, or injector failure, or a head gasket etc.

Does it rev fairly freely in neutral? That rules out CAS, fuel pump.

Most common is boost issues. Hard to spot standing in the driveway with the bonnet up because it's not supposed to create huge gobs of boost in neutral. If the car can pull away at its usual pace when below 1200-1300rpm then it doesn't pull away much better at 1800-2000rpm it's probably boost-related and the most common cause of that is actuator control.

The turbocharger might have failed too - it doesn't take a huge amount to pop the air intake hose off the front of the turbo and stick an inspection camera in.

Hey

Popped the bonnet late last night, had a look around at the hoses and all connections again. Couldn't find any splits in any air hoses etc. it doesn't seem like limp mode because I'm pretty sure limp mode restricts the revs but it will rev out in neutral and in gear. It just seems like it's under load all the time. Started this morning and had another look over everything and all sounded normal and ok, idled fine. Went to drive out driveway in reverse and I think I could have pushed it faster. Rang the dealer and they told me to get a tow truck and not drive it but wouldn't explain anything so I'm not to sure. I would guess maybe turbo has gone but it's extremely weird. Everything sounds good and no smoke etc. will keep posted

Hi.

just an update. After the dealer got the car they took it for a quick drive and agreed it wasn't a limp mode. Nonetheless they had no idea what it was and told me it would be 3 weeks before the could look at it again. Computer came up with no errors etc. they disconnected the turbo before the turbo and after and said that after made it slightly better. Next time they took it into the garage, all power was back and no problems. i said so next time it happens do I just park it up for a month until it goes away. Haha but they still have no idea what it is and can't make it happen again. Been in contact with Nissan and they have never heard of the problem either. So they rang last night and asked if he could take it home with him and go the long way in to work today about a 100 km round trip to see if they can make the problem Come back. Anyway that's where there at. No idea what happened and the car is driving fine.

Will keep updated until it's fixed.

Got the car back on Thursday night. The dealer said that the have no idea what the problem was but it seems to be fixed but to bring it back if it happens again. No charge or anything as it was still under warranty. First drive and it went like a train! Better that before. I thought this can't be right? Maybe I've just forgotten what it went like. Got the mrs to take it for a drive and she agreed it goes heaps better.
Had a look under the bonnet today and found a few what seem to be new parts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 195
Sorry the photos don't really do it justice, but the engine bay is rather dusty and there's a bit of grime here there and everywhere and these bits look like they don't belong? it looks like the timing cover has been replaced? And some other things to do with it and some of the turbo parts? Anyway I'm not 100 percent sure. Maybe a timing problem would explain the loss of power?

Timing - particularly a loose sensor - can definitely cause power issues especially if fuel is being injected too early and main ignition is commencing before TDC. It will push the piston back down before it gets to the top - acting like a brake!

Shame there was no clear answer.

Ok well problem is back, only worse this time. Car is shuddering when I try to drive and no power? Back to the dealer on a tow truck...

Sounds like they know but didn't want to fess up. Ask them why it had shiny new bits but they said they didn't know what was wrong.

Hi again.

Went to move the car a couple hours later and it drove fine.. Spoke to the dealer this morning and they said they will contact Nissan and See what they want to do. Confusing.

I wonder if it's either a fuel pump or a fuel line blockage (eg fuel pickup, maybe some crap from a dodgey underground tank). If it's not an electrical (eg poor earth on engine, battery, ECU) then only other suspects are fuel & CAS.

Someone else had the egr system crap itself and Nissan replaced it. Could be a sticky egr valve.

If you can't fix it with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Latest posts

Back