Swags. What would you recomend?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Looking around at the moment for a decent quality swag and would like some input from those that have used them and what style or features would be recommended.
Budgeting about $400.
So what's good and what's bad?

Get one with a waterproof floor that comes up a couple of inches around the sides to stop the damp creeping in. access from top and the end, top good for most times but end good when raining. ventalation at the foot end would also be good to get breeze flowing through. Look up "the Swagman" on the net, makes good gear, highly recomended.

cheers

Bad; When some drunk bastard falls on top of your canvas coffin.
:secruity:

PMSL
So the first rule is not to put it between the fire and your tent........or within a 25m radius of either. :sarcastic:
Aside from that can you get into the buggers after refreshments? :cheers!:
I know your tent has a "stability control mechanism" in the centre and after a bit of pole dancing I know you have found a way of slowing down the earth's gravitational spin but can you do the same in a hoop type swag? Possibly both hands flat on the ground and a good grip :sarcastic:

Last edited:
No smaller than a King size single.

I'm using a stretcher bed now, heaps better than lying on the ground and check the quality of the fiberglass poles, mine all snapped.

Thanks Pete. Have looked at The Swagman
But there are so many out there now.Its good to get the lowdown from others experience.

No smaller than a King size single.

I'm using a stretcher bed now, heaps better than lying on the ground and check the quality of the fiberglass poles, mine all snapped.

What was yours?
I remember you grizzling about water dripping on your nose.

i just recently bought a new swag, cost me $460 i think or round there.
Here's all the specs its quite a good swag.
Better quallity canvas than the top brand bourke and wills swags without the price tag.
Check em out, mines the brumby XL

Down Under Swags - Australian camping goods

Yep looked at them too.
Have you used it yet. Looks quality but how does it fare in the real world?

Mine is a jolly swag,From memory just over 400 got 2 hoops and mesh at head end. Helps a bit in hot weather and fly mesh zips you in completely, So no bugs or reptiles. The one i got last year for Shaun is Burke and wills 400 to 430 about 6 months ago similar setup as mine, Both Australian made replaced buckles on the jolly $20, Burke and wills heavy duty to start with and might even be better foam

I have two OzTrail Mitchell Swags, which are about 3 years old now, and really don't loo kany different from when they were new. had good work outs in the rain during 3 weeks around Tazzie...

Only real complaint I have is that the mattress in a swag isnt thick enough for my back, but thats not a complaint about this specific swag. I shoved my self inflating hike mat into mine and that was enough to make it comfortable on anything softer than concrete, but pretty bulky to roll up.

oh, and I replaced the standard d rings on the straps with buckles. Any manufaturer that still uses D-rings deserves a kick.

OZTRAIL LEISURE PRODUCTS - Online Catalog

What was yours?
I remember you grizzling about water dripping on your nose.

I'll go and check, They can build up with condensation, as Pete STR said good ventilation to get a breeze through is important in hot and cold weather.

if anyone tells you that you need to water it/soak it before you use it,they are trying to sell you shit.
that just means the cotton count is very thin and NOT very water proof.
a quality swag will be water proof from the moment you take it out from the shop.
mine will hold water in it if you choose to use it as a water container,which means it also keeps water out.
i got it from SAUL SWAGS, made in the high country of VIC.
look them up..

Ive got a Mitchell king size swag. I would also recommend putting it on a stretcher as mine got flooded from being on the ground in heavy rain. I think I got it for a steal at $200 new! When I got it home it had the wrong sticker on it and it must have scanned up cheaper. lol

Mine is made by 'Wild River' for Aussie disposals - the type with a large hoop at the head with large vent/fly screen at that end, and then another 'bar' 2/3 the way down to keep the canvas off the person. Matress is thick enough. In cold/wet conditions I use a fold up stretcher to keep everything off the ground to avoid moisture and water. Has a fly screen that zips up under the canvas cover - great for those barmy nights when the stars are out. Has a vinyl floor to assist with keeping dry. Poles are aluminium. Cost less that $400-00 about 4 years ago.

I also have a bivvy bag which works well with a sleeping bag on a stretcher bed under the awning.

Next purchase is a swag sleeping bag - the shiny slippery ones make getting in that little bit harder when they slip around inside the swag.

Getting into it when pissed is an art form that develops with practice. (Remember to take your boots off!)

I have considered a set of roll bars for protection against navarian.

Last edited:
Cheers for all the input.
Is there a bad one out there?
What would you look for if you were going to replace your existing?

By putting it on a camp stretcher though isn't it colder from underneath? Just thinking about the thermal losses and the airflow. Would be good on a warm night but Victoria isn't that warm on most nights.

Back