Swags. What would you recomend?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using the same Saul swag for 25 years. Had to put an extra mattress in it a while ago as I'm a little older than when I got it for my 21st. So much more comfy than sleeping on the concrete garage floor when I get locked out. It's old school, no poles or ribs. Just flip the flap over if it's raining. The sleeping bag has been in it for over 20 years, ever since it's zip got busted in the wheel arch of my mates F100. There is also a fleecy cotton blanket in there somewhere that I got when I was in cubs and recently I found an 11mm sidchrome spanner in it that I lost years ago. The two pillows in it give my girl nightmares.

I mentioned this in the other swag thread - Harris Scarfe have got Oztrail Mitchell swags on speacial @ $139 from Wed5th June for a week. My son has one - good for casual use.

Thread from the dead, sadly I have not much else to do but read through, figured I spend enough time in a swag to weigh in on this.

So every now and again I live in a swag for months at a time due to the nature of my work (it's luxury for us believe me) and tried many of the options out there, firstly I'll say anything under $300 is a waste of time, another common thing I've heard is that a swag should be waterproof from the shop, not the case, as stated previously the reason to soak your swag is to swell the stitching, nothing to do with the canvas, another is that PVC floors are better, perhaps in the short term yes, being water proof from the store, however having had a PVC floor I can assure you that no repair kit can waterproof a hole again and the swag is next to useless, having had most of the cheaper brands out there trying to get out of it cheap has taught me a few things, fiberglass poles... don't waste your time even if on the odd chance you can find a replacement it will last no longer than the original and that PVC floors wont stand the test of time.
The biggest tip I can give for a swag is they do require maintenance, a good clean to remove all mud and gunk when possible and personally I waterproof after every outing, more so my OCD kicking in than a requirement, but none the less still needed.
As for brands, Darche are great, I wouldn't spend that kind of money but some of my guys have I couldn't recommend them enough, Bourke & Wills is what I've stuck with (on my second, due to preference not worn out) and I will stand by my Redgum, Jolly make great swags also, however I never had the pleasure but they seem good by all reports, Dune a brand sold through Amazon outdoors held up well but this is where I learnt the PVC floor lesson, Oztent seem to be the same as Dune and as such I would assume the same quality.

Overall, I place a 5mm high density foam cutout from Clarke rubber regardless as this helps with the cold a lot, waterproof regularly and stay away from PVC and fiberglass.
I might have to do a product review of my Bourke & wills as staying all over Aust in every weather imaginable and after four years it's still as good as new.

Edit: And as mentioned in another post Wildearth.com.au are great prices are good to begin with but buy a few things and give a little hint towards how much your spending and next thing you know another 10-15% off and free postage, these guys really are great to deal with (can't comment on product support as nothing has failed me yet, touch wood)

Regards Jezz

Last edited:
Have had a jungle reef (techniice) swag for 12 months now, got the king single, fits myself and the missus (I'm 6ft 75kgs she's 5"5ft and 50kgs ringing wet) and fit us perfect, get good use and has 15 oz canvas if i remember correctly, we just throw a sheet and doona In it before we go away and roll it out, love it, has air flap at feet end for air flow to keep the condensation out but we generally sleep with the top flap open and miggy mesh zipped up . Think it was about $220.

Money well spent!

Techniice

Mate have a look at the Techni ice ones on their web site and the roo systems one on 4wd supercentre web site. I have the techni ice one no complaints.

My kids Burke and wills swags are a bit over 3 years old and still in great order, my jolly swag is over 8 years old and still looks as good as the day I bought it, probably spend between 5 and ten nights a year in them.

Jim Allen swags is the best swag I have ever had camping in snow and rain is not a drama I hunt almost every weekend and the everyone in the crew use jim Allen swags put em up on a stretcher and you can't beat em http://www.jimallenandson.com all you will need is a good mattress
Cheers

I've got a few swags but the jolly would be my fave, top stuff they are. When I worked at BCF they seemed to be a consistent seller too.

I got me an Oztrail Mitchell king single which is a good piece of gear but depending on the age of ya bones, extra padding would be a good tip.
I found the high density foam mattress supplied wasn't enuff for more than a couple of days.

I got me an Oztrail Mitchell king single which is a good piece of gear but depending on the age of ya bones, extra padding would be a good tip.
I found the high density foam mattress supplied wasn't enuff for more than a couple of days.

I've got the same, no complaints here. extra padding is always better tho haha

Latest posts

Back