ZD30 D22 hard to start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAV80

Reaction score
Hey people

have just bought a 2006 D22 ZD30 with 59,000 kms on it...

I bought it unregistered as it needed a little bit of cleaning as it got caught slightly submerged in a storm.... have started the vehicle on and off the past 3 weeks of owning it... finally got around to getting it registered and yesterday took it on its first decent run.... (100kms each way) yesterday i pulled up at my partners place and once it cooled down and went to leave it was super hard to start.... I parked it up last night once i got home and took my landcruiser instead... I have attached a couple of videos to show what it is now doing

This video is the first time it has been started in 24hrs

As you can see it is hard to start and the tacho goes crazy... then the Engine light stays on. My partners brother and his partner both have D22's and both start with the flick of the key.

After getting it going in the previous video I drove it for 5 mins or so, shut it down and tried starting it again....

Easy as and no engine light..... this is not always the case... sometimes after stopping it and trying to start it again it carry's on like the first video.

Just checked it then... hasnt been started in an hour... got 3 pumps out of the primer and it went rock hard.... drained the water tap to, hardly any water in there...

It does how ever have this stupid little Ryco inline filter as well as a Ryco filter cartridge... might change that to a genuine Nissan me thinks....

Dave does your Tacho go spastic when starting it too?

Can i also add which i forgot to before the previous owner had a chip installed then removed it... and when i say removed it i mean cut the wires and too it out...

2 wires im not sure about... 1 grey one goes through and splices into the where the connector plugs into the accelerator pedal and another one spices into an existing wire on the injector pump :S

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

After the second video in my first post, I then (with the help of the missus) took a video to show its performance.... It is completely stock standard

Flat road with foot flat... to be honest i was expecting a bit more...

Hmmm, i made a couple more posts earlier, but they are not being displyed :S must have to wait for them to be approved as i attached videos to them.

Id be pissing that Ryco petrol filter off. Its probably starving for fuel.

Nope, mine will easily crank over.

Actually, I just remembered.

Shonky who use to be on here said the Ryco fuel filters dont seal properly.

I only use genuine on mine so cant comment myself.

Yep plan on ditching that filter tomorrow... both infact!.... Also noticed that little petrol inline thing is between the factory filter and the I/pump... and has also been installed backwards... i.e the arrow on it is pointing the wrong way, dunno what effect that would have on it :-S

Food for thought.

I remember Northside talking about the Crank angle sensor the other day.

Kinda makes sense actually since your tacho is all over the shop.

Its behind the harmonic balancer.

Hey, any updates to the problem you had? Im having a very similar thing happen to me, only when engine cold, first time go to start revs bounce around 2-3G and engine cranks alot linger than normal and engine light stays on, turn off and starts straight away with no issues,

Called Nissan and they said it won't be crank sensor as it wouldn't start at all, but said it could be injectors or boost sensor...didnt satisfiy me though seems like these would be causing a constant problem not just when cold,
Fuel filter is only about 3 months old and is genuine Nissan, pumped primer but took four pumps and fifth was very firm,

How did you end up going with your d22?

Cheers
Mike

Hey mate...

Noooo success yet.... it's still doing it... Tested glow plugs relay ect, and there is power there, changed to a genuine nissan filter, removed that crappy inline filter that mine had, put a new battery in it, pulled the started motor to pieces and cleaned everything (thought it was cranking lazy) now cranks beautifully but took a while to start first thing this morning...

Only thing i can think of is the glow plugs them selves... Its getting serviced by my mechanic on friday so will plug his diagnostic machine and see what codes it throws...

How many km's has yours done Mike? I have just ticked over 60 000 on a 2006 model..... My next attempt will be glow plugs.

Troy

Hey mate, ah spewing it's still doing it after all that work,
Mines down 140k and is 04.
Yeah will be interested to know what the diagnostic test shows up, I'll probably book mine in next week sometime.
I'm wondering if the revs going mental is because of the extended cranking time drawing excess current and the gauge motors getting a lack of power...
Yeah I've never owned a diesel before so glow plugs are completely new to me,
Cus if yours is like mine it seems to be cranking at a decent speed, and once running runs fine,
I read on another thread that a leak in the diesel line could be causing it, but the primer goes hard after 3-4 pumps so I think that's normal.
Fingers crossed it's nothing too expensive... Haha

Fellas, have you read the thread in the main forum titled Anyone got ideas, the symptoms sound similar.
They talk of the gear driving the crank angle sensor being loose.

Cheers mate, had a read through this thread you mentioned but I think theirs may be doing it very regularly, I don't no about troys but mine seems only to do it when stone cold, hasn't done it warm yet(don't no if it's the temperature or the fact that it's been sitting for a period of time) time seems more likely as so far mine has started perfectly on second start each time, and I have not heard a strange noise as of yet ,
Thanks for more info though!

yeah it s a bit hard to folow so with splattered around the place.

1. find a mechanic with a reader that work on these. if it flashes malfunction light then it will have a code.

2. you mentioned burnt smell, did you find any burnt wiring?

3. if its been partly drowned then possible water damaged connectors. check ALL connectors and cables.

looking at one of the vids it looks like voltage drop. if ecu detects low voltage it won't start the ute even tho it turns over. also can be fault in nats cable. i would be checking the under bonnet fuses and battery leads for corrosion. bad connection can heat up and melt the cables (burning smell??).

Thanks tweake, will check out those things you mentioned, and book in to have it diagnosed by machine...137dollars to plug in a computer haha

Latest posts

Back