STX550 head unit and Samsung Galaxy S8

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karlos_1984

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My STX550 has the factory Bose touch screen head unit. Up until now I've used an iphone with all my music plugged into the usb port in the console and have had no dramas, using steering wheel controls to access all my music libary, no worries.

Just switched to a new Samsung Galaxy S8, have put all my music onto it assuming I could plug it in the same as the iPhone and use it the same way, no deal.

I plug it into the usb port and the head unit doesn't detect it. The phone comes up with a message saying to use smart switch because it thinks the head unit is an apple device and it's trying to transfer data from it.

Has anyone else got one of these new Samsung phones and worked out a way to get the music on it to play through the head unit via the usb cable? I don't want to use bluetooth because you still have to pick up the phone to control what songs to play etc and kind of defeats the purpose. Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

I use the Bluetooth function as im always switching between a couple different music players but I've also loaded heaps of music onto a usb. I haven't been in the nav for sometime so ill update tomorrow with using the galaxy with the usb or the Bluetooth.
I know there's an easier way

I loaded all my music onto a USB thumb drive and leave it permanently plugged into the console.

Last edited:
I've tried the flash drive method before but it has its limitations. I find the folder structure is not as easy to navigate as it is with the iphone and for some reason the head unit only detects up to a certain amount of GB. For example, I had a 64 GB flash drive loaded with my entire music library but when accessing it in the ute, only artist from A-G showed up. If i deleed those artists off the flash drive, then only artists names H-S showed up, and so on and so forth.

Do you get a USB icon in your pull down notification menu? You might get an option to mount as USB storage, select this and should become visible to your head unit. Otherwise check in storage under settings if icon doesn't appear in pull down menu. Hope this helps

I don't recall seeing that USB icon appear on the phone. Once I've re-organised the music library on the micro SD card (as there's duplicate songs, incorrect artist names etc thanks to bloody itunes) I'll put it back into the phone and plug it in and see what happens. I'm not holding my breath though...

Latest posts

Back