Catergory NA vehicles (Navara's) OK to Lift & mod legally?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinE

Reaction score
As the title says, is it OK to mod a Ute like people do with 4WD wagons? - legally!

I have been thinking about this since the Ford Everest drama earlier in the year.

Doesn't affect me personally, as I don't lift my 4WD's. But there are 1,000's who do.

So................... are they legal?

(I've worn Google out trying to find an answer, but have come up empty so far!)

Either nobody knows the answer to this (unlikely, I'd think), or those that do know the answer are keeping quiet & hoping that the question will go away (far more likely IMO)?

I don't really know what you mean. It depends on the licensing department on the state you live. As far as I'm aware, you are only allowed a max of 2" lift altogether (suspension, tyres or body lift).

You can get bigger lifts engineered, but you have to pay to do a lane change swerve test and pass it before they will approve it.

I don’t think there’s a correct answer to this depending on what state you are in. Nothing special about the hight of mine yet DOT and police have hassled me. I would fail a lane change test, the centre of gravity is too high with the alloy canopy and tray. I think laws vary depending on location so it’s difficult to know where you stand.

What I've come up with since my OP above surprises me a bit.

My take on it is:

In SA (and likely elsewhere I suspect) suspension lifts using extended, or adjustable shackles on leaf sprung vehicles are definitely illegal (that bit surprised me).

You can do a 50mm coil spring lift, but cannot use blocks, or wedges on the ends of the coils or struts, nor inside the coils. The original amount of rebound travel must be retained with the use of straps/shockers etc.

Body lifts, using metallic lift blocks that are at least as strong as steel, are fine up to 50mm. But, if the body lift means any extending of steering column, or brake lines is necessary, the Ute needs to be engineered & then have a roadworthy inspection.

If you own an NP300 and do a 50mm body lift & a 50mm coil suspension lift; you need to get it engineered & inspected if you wish to get the lift above 50mm in total.

Tyres are only allowed to be 15mm +/- than original, unless the vehicle is category MC, then they can go up to 50mm oversize.

Happy to be proved wrong, if that's the case?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back