Tub Or Tray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosher

Reaction score
My tub just got wrecked so deciding whether to just get another one or get a tray. What ones better? And show us your setup.

It does depend on your needs. You can fabricate a well-supported cover for a tray, allowing you to add a rooftop tent to the rear leaving the vehicle roof space for lighter cargo like recovery tracks and strap, shovel, folding chairs etc. You can then build storage under the tray behind the wheel arch and above the spare.

However, that doesn't look as clean as a tub with a canopy, and with so much more "stuff" visible, lends to a higher risk of opportunistic theft.

Canopies tend to not be strong enough to carry 2 adults plus a tent on the top, so unless you specifically buy a canopy with that in mind, you can rule out the rooftop tent. My own canopy houses a large solar panel and everything else is inside behind dark tinted glass.

Thanks for the feedback. If I was to go to a tray then I would eventually put a half canopy so I could lock up at least some stuff. I don’t need a rooftop tent so no need for that. And the reason I like the tub and canopy is because there’s so much lockable space, but I’m not sure if I’d be able to find another tub as my utes an old 99 QD32.

I've seen an old model with the square headlights getting around Perth with one of the Thai built tubs on it, so they obviously fit. In saying that, you'd have to get a canopy to suit the new tub too...

I've seen an old model with the square headlights getting around Perth with one of the Thai built tubs on it, so they obviously fit. In saying that, you'd have to get a canopy to suit the new tub too...

Yeah thought they’d work as they’re pretty much the same car body wise between the old and newer models. In saying that though the flares aren’t the same and so I feel it’d look quite odd. And as you said I’d also need to buy another canopy.

What happened was it was 35degrees while going 110 and the rear tyre detreaded for lack of words and unwrapped due to it being old even though it had plenty of tread left, which then just took out half the rear quarter. Is it worth paying excess to insurance to cover it or should I just buy a tray or tub. Not sure as the car doesn’t have the most value and they could just deem it too expensive to repair and write it off.

Ask them for a quote to repair. Discuss with your insurance company the options you are considering. You might get a new tub, nicely painted to match for less than a tray and setup.

Personally I prefer the tub. But it’s more of a looks thing on a dual cab unless you are getting a full fabricated toolbox type tray.

I don’t have a canopy and only use a soft cover for practicality of carting bigger stuff. What you use it for determine which is best.

Ask them for a quote to repair. Discuss with your insurance company the options you are considering. You might get a new tub, nicely painted to match for less than a tray and setup.

Personally I prefer the tub. But it’s more of a looks thing on a dual cab unless you are getting a full fabricated toolbox type tray.

I don’t have a canopy and only use a soft cover for practicality of carting bigger stuff. What you use it for determine which is best.

Thanks fort the reply, I agree with you on the tub, especially because my cats only on 31’s, if you go 33’s any tray looks alright I think. I’ll talk to them and see what they can do, cheers.

That sucks, tyre delamination that is called, common on either old or under inflated tyres, especially in the hot weather...

If you're lucky you might be able to find a tub around the same age as yours, or if you'd rather a tray you shouldn't have much trouble, just might have to modify mounts if you fit it yourself, if it is from a different model vehicle.

That sucks, tyre delamination that is called, common on either old or under inflated tyres, especially in the hot weather...

If you're lucky you might be able to find a tub around the same age as yours, or if you'd rather a tray you shouldn't have much trouble, just might have to modify mounts if you fit it yourself, if it is from a different model vehicle.

Yeah it’s might fault honestly I knew about the age of the tyres and was considering replacing them but I just didn’t think that would happen considering how much tread they still had left. Have contacted insurance and will have smash repairs look at it on Wednesday. There’s a fair chance that they might write it off due to it needing a new door and new tub as well, seeing as the car doesn’t have a very high market value they might end up doing that. In that case I’ll buy it back and spend the money to put a tub on and then just buy another door myself, otherwise if they can fix it then that’s great too.

Be careful with insurance, not sure where you are from but if they write it off it will go on the WOVR written off vehicle register and then you need to not only fix repairs but pay for a VIV certificate $530+ in Vic and then your vehicle can't be registered in NSW not sure about other states.
Also worth noting that you need to get anything out of the vehicle before insurance prior to insurance writing it off as it is theirs then, you should be able to pick up a cheap tub either from dealers or wreckers, doors are $200-300 and you should be able to find one in the write colour.
On the other side of writing it off you might be able to buy it back cheap but usually sold through auctions (Pickles) also worth noting it won't be worth as much to sell either and by law you must declare if it has been written off.
Just saw you are in WA and they tend to do statutory write-offs for even minor dings which means vehicle can't be re registered anywhere in Aust.
Dealers usually have cheap tubs when they put trays on or you could buy a salvage vehicle with a good tub/tray pretty cheap and have lots of spares.

https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-...Nissan._.Model.Navara.)_.ProductType.Vehicles.)

Last edited:
Be careful with insurance, not sure where you are from but if they write it off it will go on the WOVR written off vehicle register and then you need to not only fix repairs but pay for a VIV certificate $530+ in Vic and then your vehicle can't be registered in NSW not sure about other states.
Also worth noting that you need to get anything out of the vehicle before insurance prior to insurance writing it off as it is theirs then, you should be able to pick up a cheap tub either from dealers or wreckers, doors are $200-300 and you should be able to find one in the write colour.
On the other side of writing it off you might be able to buy it back cheap but usually sold through auctions (Pickles) also worth noting it won't be worth as much to sell either and by law you must declare if it has been written off.
Just saw you are in WA and they tend to do statutory write-offs for even minor dings which means vehicle can't be re registered anywhere in Aust.
Dealers usually have cheap tubs when they put trays on or you could buy a salvage vehicle with a good tub/tray pretty cheap and have lots of spares.

https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-...Nissan._.Model.Navara.)_.ProductType.Vehicles.)

Thanks for the feedback, some good insight. Hopefully they write it off as repairable as it’s no way near anything structural. And hopefully they let me buy it back without going to auction, in that case I’ll just buy a cheap tray and put that on. As with selling it shouldn’t really matter as it’s a low value car and I doubt I’d be selling it to a dealer.

Latest posts

Back