modded xr6 intercooler into the 03 str

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just out of curiosity is united going to dyno tuned it after it's done? have heard only good stories of their tuning so will be very keen!

the guys down at united really know their stuff, im considering a dyno run before and after to see any difference in torque/hp will be an interesting to see how it comes out. im going to go down there in a couple of days and grab a catch can, they carry one that was purpose built for the 3.0lt patrols and they reckon they're the best option. as for tuning it i might wait till i get a chip for it and get them to tune in and make sure its all good.

im in the process of doing a front mount on my d22 atm also and finding the purchase of the correct pipes and where to run them being the most difficult of tasks (im sticking with 2.25inch piping), fitting the front mount was the easy part :p , would love to see more pics of your progress :) keep up the good work Nafmersa![/QUOTE]

spot on stockappy, running this is better than running none. and any heat soak you get once over that 12 psi threshold is minimal compared to the gains. and you also have to take into account my nav is for touring so she be cruising more than going hard at full boost.

as for the pipes i used to make custom mandrel exhausts and intake pipes for a living so im going to make mine out of stainless and get them tig welded and pressure tested, then use exhaust heat wrap on them. i should have a bit of progress soon, ive had to order the silicone hoses online as no auto parts stores carry 2 1/4" gear. so there may be a wait before i can get started on the pipes. but i'll get her mounted and move the washer bottle and contemplate which way to route them.

that all sounds good :rock:
just keep in mind that they can cruise at 10-12psi boost (at 100km/h) and hit 15psi on a small incline.

just remember, if u have a choice make your cold side the shortest length as apose to the hotside, (it doesnt matter how long the warm air has to travel to get to the intercooler, but after the intercooler u want the air to stay as cold and dense as possible with shorter piping)
i managed to get my hands on a large/thick horizontal bottom fed trust intercooler from an auctions for cheap, but in the perfect world a slightly larger version of the std xr6t cooler would have been ideal as it pipes out toward the same side, making it easy to run both pipes to turbo and intake on the same side...
by having a look around im going to run both pipes into my passenger wheel arch and through the rubber flap into the engine bay. shouldnt be a problem for me as i have a 3inch lift kit and only use the nav for towing not offroading much... so i cant see it being damaged by anything...

let me know what you come up with nafmersa as im open to better sugestions for sure and havent had much of a chance to start the piping :)

Hot side / Cold Side = They both should be kept to an absolute minimum.
Work off 4x radius of the bend as increase in pipelength through a bend.

Hot side can be larger in diameter than cold side due to the expanded and faster flowing nature of hot air.
Cold side should be 1/4 - 1/2" Smaller for optimum results.

The only time you will have a problem with running stuff through a wheel arch is if something comes up and punctures it.

I have only had 8 customers in 3 years have this problem. Given thats only the people around my area. Each one was a full engine rebuild, sand/water/dirt ingestion = Bent rods, stuffed pistons and valves etc...

So the odds are stacked in your favour not to cause a problem. If they do though, god its a painfull and expensive exercise to fix.

im going to try and run in it above the wheel arch through the rad support, got to remove a few bits and get the pipe to see if i can make it work.

well got the intercooler back. had one of the tanks removed rotated and rewelded back on so i can now mount it and route the pipes alot easier. most of the silicone couplings have arrived and the stainless pipe is at my mates workshop. had it hot tanked and flushed to make sure its all nice and clean. the thing i like about the core on this cooler is the finning internally to the cores should stop debris fro entering into the engine should the turbo decide to lunch itself.

Attachments

• IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 798
I will be very interested to see how all this turns out as im considering a intercooler for my 3L nav and if there is a cheaper frontmount option to the ase kit then id be all for it.

hi all sorry i havent posted for a bit been busy working and havent had time to get into it. this saturday is dedicated muck around with the navara day. will be fitting the intercooler and also fitting the rancho my ride system. will post pics once im all done.

Hi nafmersa , mate I've nearly finished my xr6 cooler install just waiting to get a couple of short radius silicone bends and reducers plus clamps. Because of my 2"body lift one pipe went along the chassis and up to the turbo which made it a bit easier and the outlet of the cooler to the intake went through the front near the washer bottle and the washer bottle simply got moved 50mm lower , no mods at and you can still easily fill it . Will post some pics on weekend , cheers Ken.

Hot side / Cold Side = They both should be kept to an absolute minimum.
Work off 4x radius of the bend as increase in pipelength through a bend.

Hot side can be larger in diameter than cold side due to the expanded and faster flowing nature of hot air.
Cold side should be 1/4 - 1/2" Smaller for optimum results.

Can anyone tell me which side is the hot side and which is the cool side on the zd30 when installing a front mount intercooler??

Hot side - Heated compressed air between turbo and the intercooler.
Cold side - Is after the air has been cooled by the intercooler on its way back to the intake manifold.

Cheers bryce, this was my first thought but i was unsure of the direction of air flow with turbos as this is my first turbo car. So according to northside 4x4 the pipe going from turbo to intercooler can be slightly larger then the pipe going from to the intercooler back to the motor intake??

Last edited:
Her's a couple of pics of the way I mounted my xr6 intercooler. There's a heap of room in behind the alloy bullbar so room is not a problem. Having the body lift made it a bit easier as well, total cost of the of buying the second hand cooler +fittings and pipe $ 274.00 . It took about 12 hrs in total.

Attachments

• 100_2580.jpg
    100_2580.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • 100_2589.jpg
    100_2589.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 100_2592.jpg
    100_2592.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 986
Nice work there Ken

What size piping did you use I'm still not sure if I should go 2" or 2 1/4" and either use the same size for the both or slightly smaller for the cool side?

G'day Wade , mate I used 2" all the way through as the outlet of the turbo by memory is about 40mm or something and the internal size of the pipe was bigger i might have used a bit bigger pipe if I had it but the 2" is what I had in stock at the time. It seems to go Ok maybe a little better its hard to tell I mainly wanted the cooler to catch any bits off the turbo if it shits itself

Neat setup, does the ute have a body lift to get the pipework under the radiator support panel?

Very interesting thread. I have been investigating an IC upgrade for my D40 and was told one out of an XR6 made a large difference over the stock one.

Hey Blacknav , yes mate its got a 2'' body lift which I made myself. It did make it a lot easier with the lift

Latest posts

Back