4.0 petrol D40 Auto 4x4

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben85

Reaction score
Anyone here got one?

How do they go? Reliability, fuel consumption?

Where were they made and are accessories available to fit them?

Thinking about future possibilities, the modern diesels seem a risky and expensive proposition, maybe going back to petrol is the way to go for increased reliability and performace and less outlay, of course fuel costs will be more but perhaps its a worthwhile compromise?

a mate had a 4 litre patrol and it was very very thirsty, he got rid of it and bought a diesel. not 100% sure on petrol vehicles anymore as there re sale values are also down.

My neighbour has one Ben, he had a few issues with the ignition coil pack but apart from that it's been very reliable. They go very well and you can trick them up too. Fuel is about 450kms a tank if your easy with the foot. There are some getting around with 400.000 untouched now so they do last. The Poms love them more than the diesel model, have a look on their forum they are popular.

aparantly there were bugger all of them in the uk.
there's the odd one around over here but not many.
perhaps better off looking into petrol hilux's.

If Nissan still made the V6 4 x 2 like the first one I had I would be in one now. That V6 was a beautiful engine and in the 4 x 2 I routinely got 605km out of a tank full around town.

If Nissan still made the V6 4 x 2 like the first one I had I would be in one now. That V6 was a beautiful engine and in the 4 x 2 I routinely got 605km out of a tank full around town.
Thats good to know.
was it a d40? Which year?

I reckon the 4.0 V6 is a wonderful thing. Both in the Navara and the Hilux. I've driven both and I too would rather petrol than Deisel. But that's just me

I reckon the 4.0 V6 is a wonderful thing. Both in the Navara and the Hilux. I've driven both and I too would rather petrol than Deisel. But that's just me
Do u know what the fuel consumption was like?

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Do u know what the fuel consumption was like?

Yeah the Nissan was at around 10L/100k and the Toyota a little more at around 12L/100k
Both these figures are nursing at 100kph on the Hwy. they are a bit thirsty when in traffic though.
But that's the price you pay to get car like acceleration and good torque for pulling.
Give me petrol any day👍

The modern Japanese twin cam v6 petrols are always going to be strong and reliable

Diesel turbos are a seductive force because theyre so damn fun to drive and everyone loves a turbo

I had a Toyota fj cruiser for a couple days last week, on loan from a Mitsubishi dealership
4 litre petrol auto as all FJs are

It truly was a treat to drive, around 12 litres per 100k with a leadfoot
Fast, quiet, smooth it purred at low revs and roared above 4k

Still didn't tickle the turnips like a turbo diesel though...

I guess the solution is to have one of each

Agree with ben regarding the way modern diesels seem to be going. The reliability of diesels seems slowly to be a thing of the past (with some exceptions). Have had a bit to do with certain popular European 4 cyl diesel cars that go like the absolute clappers and run on smell of an oily rag. Trouble is the expense when things go wrong, which they usually do. If they make 200 thou without lot's of costly repairs that would be very unusual, but it's then time to throw them away and get another one before they do clag it, they're absolute rubbish. Any of the v6 petrol cars would probably be a far better proposition.

Notice the new 4 cyl nav puts out nearly as much power and more torque than the v8 landcruiser. Wonder which one will still be happily chugging around in 10 yrs? Can't help thinking of the problems nissan had when they beefed up the little zd30's to put in the patrol.

The manufacturers seem to be headed further in the direction of cars that have the comfort and driveability of sedans and with the smallest possible motors tuned to get the most out of them. Probably alright for the tradesman to carry his gear around and rarely leave the tar and probably trade it well before it get's too old anyway, and this must be where the market is.

There seems very limited options for people who want a genuine workhorse/4wd ute. Landcruiser seems about it (though the v8 in them has had some problems). If someone would make a non 4cyl mech injected ute with a solid front axle I would buy one. Something that only needs an electrical system to start the motor and for the headlights would be good, wouldn't necessarilyeven need a turbo lol. Seemed to go plenty good enough back in the day. A bit like lamenting the fall of the dinosaurs lol.

Last edited:
The Older Diesels

From what I understand in this thread you must be talking about the "D21"
fitted with the SD25, no Turbo, 650Klm's from a full tank,!
But then the Brainless Twits went to fitting Computers and ruined the ute they now build!
highway man:deadhorse2:

The new utes are great for companies or people that buy new and turn them over regularly, good fuel economy and decent tow capacities is a bonus for some.

The problem is for people like me that want to buy a good used ute say 5 years old with around the 140k mark.
By then most of the modern diesels are big gamble.
Intakes bound to be coked up, injectors, fuel pumps, turbos and even heads can be a ticking time bomb.

I wouldnt mind a ute with a motor like my 4 lt falcon.

Got to admit the fuel usage is a bit of a worry as i want to run big tyres and also do a bit of towing (approx 1 ton boat) about 2-300ks up and down the highway.

Latest posts

Back