Auto Gearbox - how to make it bullet proof

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxtrot16

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bit of a lurker but need a help / some ideas.

My 2011 D40 transmission oil cooler crapped itself the other week and transmission oil has contaminated the radiator and some has gone into the gearbox so I am up for a hefty repair bill :pissedoff::pissedoff:

Anyway as I don't want this to happen again as I tow a Camper trailer a lot and want to do remote travel I want to make the gearbox as bullet proof as I can so I was wondering what ahs anyone else done?

My mechanic has ordered a new radiator but we are going to have a separate oil cooler and keep them separate so hopefully it wont happen again and I am having a temp gauge fitted so I can watch the temps but is there anything else I can do??

Still waiting to see what damage has been caused to the gearbox :pissedoff::pissedoff:

Thanks for any advice.

Karl

I had an external cooler fitted to mine, it's quite a large one and on cold mornings the old gearbox doesn't like to warm up in a hurry - but I no longer have the fear of cross-contamination. I'm yet to add a temp gauge but that is on my to-do list.

Apart from underbody protection - 4mm is better than 3mm, so check it - there's not a lot else to do. The oil is supposed to be in it for life, but you're about to get yours changed (and hopefully get the damaged valvebody, clutches etc replaced). If there's no warranty, consider a valve body from Wholesale Automatics - it changes better, and coupled with their low-stall torque converter (yours might need changing anyway) you will have not only a stronger gearbox, but it'll change gear at lower revs, waste less RPM and should stay locked in top gear a bit more than it does now = fuel savings.

Just had the new valve body from Wholesale Auto installed today and though I only drove home it seems much smoother in its changes.
Expensive but I think it will be worth it.

Latest posts

Back