busted Universal joint

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno

Reaction score
hi guys,

Anyone replaced rear universal joints on spain built D40 td, youtube makes it look easy but im sure it wont be. If so does anyone know if there are greaseable u joints or any recomended brands i could try?

cheers

It should be any more of a pain to replace a D40 uni as any other uni joint, do you have access to a press?? that would make your life much easier, if not you will need a big vice.

Cant say weather you can buy them with a grease nipple or not..... Try Bursons or somewhere like that and check it out

thanks for the reply, ended up pulling the tailshaft out and took to a mates workshop. all the tools needed, done in about half an hour. sourced some unis with a greasenipple for about $50 each from a local supplier, the originals were spicer and had no nipple, Nissan wanted $188 each for genuine.

thanks again.

Hey Ryno, could you give me a little more info on this mate, I have a clicking sound coming from under my car, I think it's the unis based on the symptoms and a rough diagnosis.

Where did you get the replacement unis and how did you do the change over? My unis are attached to my driveshaft, are yours different?

Any light/ photos you can shed would be amazing mate, thanks.

Navara 2011 D40 STX, About 3 weeks ago mine started making a squeaking sound when in reverse and a clicking noise when under moderate to heavy breaking. 2 weeks ago had my tyre place check brakes when fitting new Toyo AT II's with nothing found there ( brakes only a year old ). Finally got it to the Nissan dealer yesterday to find that its the universals, not in stock and quoted $1087 to replace which includes 1 hours labour to replace both universals and 1 hours labour to re-machine my front rotors ( again only a year old )
I understand OEM parts are premium price, however OEM uni's online the highest I found was $160 for the uni with the grease nipple.
Is there something difficult about D40 Universals or am I just being taken for ride from the Nissan Dealer and paying a + 300% mark up on the OEM parts ?
Any feedback from others that have had uni issues would be appreciated.

They are taking you for a ride, they work under the believe that most people think genuine and done by the dealer is the only way to go.

I would be buying the parts myself and fitting them, uni-joints are not a hard job.

Put the savings towards something else.

Thanks Bakes, told Nissan and their $800 for parts to jump on Monday, ordered 2 x RUJ-3002 greasable universals from Repco, arrived today, used my works basic hydrolic press at luch time took just over an hour, fitted tail shaft back in tonite with no more sqeak in reverse and no clicking when under braking, happy days! And under $200 including new grease.

Just bought 4 uni joints, 2 for front shaft, 2 for back shaft.
Went to Burson auto, got all 4 in Toyo brand, made in Japan with grease nipples.
Just under $160 all up for 4
The rear shaft front uni started squeaking and clicking a week or so ago, came back today with a vengeance.

Latest posts

Back