D40 Sliders

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some more done on the sliders today. Tacked the rear outrigger supports, & made up the chassis brackets....................

...........lovin' my new notcher, so much easier then using a grinder to notch out the pipe...............

Looking tops mate. Can i pinch a few tips off you.

Just about to start putting together my rear bar using 40nb 3mm tube as you have used. Im keeping the existing towbar but wrapping the bar over the top of it and around the sides to add protection. Any tips on bending the tube. I have a 12t press bender amd will need to press at 45 and 90degree angles. Do i need to heat the steel or cold press? Also what style tube notcher do you have as i was gonna buy one of those you mount to a drill press?

Rusty

Coming along nicely!

Thanks mate

Just about to start putting together my rear bar using 40nb 3mm tube as you have used. Im keeping the existing towbar but wrapping the bar over the top of it and around the sides to add protection. Any tips on bending the tube. I have a 12t press bender amd will need to press at 45 and 90degree angles. Do i need to heat the steel or cold press? Also what style tube notcher do you have as i was gonna buy one of those you mount to a drill press?

Rusty

I've never used a press to bend pipe/tube, I use a "bow & arrow" (at the moment, until I get my better) bender, as I think using a press will crush the pipe. As for the notcher, I got it off evilbay, so only a "cheapie" but still works well. It can be used in a drill press, I just clamp mine to the bench & use my hand drill.

sliders build

nice work mate. was interested in how you are gonna mount your sliders too chassis? ive recently built a set on my d40 kingcab and there was no way i could fit using those mounts. with brake lines, fuel lines and fuel tank in the way i needed much more complex mounts than those. would be keen to see more photos.

Rusty

Hay Rusty, you can buy weld in bends from Metal Land. They have a heavy wall thickness. Or if you use your pipe bender you can weld a cap on the end and fill the tube with a fine sand then bend it. This will stop it from crushing / kinking. I have a mate that builds fender benders using that technique and his bends always looked good. It takes longer but if its only a one off then its worth it.

Cheers

very nice work there mate!
Question, how did you go with the brake lines ect running at along the top of the chassis??

Are these something you would look at making more of?
They look allot stronger then the arb ones (mine are already bent) and look better two...

Thanks mate :top:
Wasn't a problem, there was enough movement in the lines to move them up enough to fit the bolts.

I was going to modify the sliders i bought off scotty to the same as what you have done, but im lazy and just ended up welding the mounting pad they come with onto the chassis, but it would of been a good thing seeing as i have had them on two D40's, the second time i had to drill and tap 32 holes for the new mounting plates.
Being to just undo the bolts and whack them on the new one would of been handy.
Having said that i am still happy with Scotty's sliders

Hay Rusty, you can buy weld in bends from Metal Land. They have a heavy wall thickness. Or if you use your pipe bender you can weld a cap on the end and fill the tube with a fine sand then bend it. This will stop it from crushing / kinking. I have a mate that builds fender benders using that technique and his bends always looked good. It takes longer but if its only a one off then its worth it.

Cheers

I have looked at the butt joins and think I will be heading down that road. Need to find a metalmob here that has all the stuff locally.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back