Starting Issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

240voltz

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Went to start my D40 this morning and when I turned the key all of the lights on the dash (bar the battery, 4wd, and handbrake light) went off. Any ideas? I have recently installed a new battery.

Cheers

Hey mate,

When you fitted the battery did you clean the terminals? I'd start by doing that and make sure they're right. Sounds like when you try to start it there is a weak connection there and it can't handle the load being put on it.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

A mates d40 did exactly that ( excluding 4wd as its 2wd) on friday afternoon.
Apparently as he pulled up at his mechanic it spat the belt and one of the pullies (alternator? ) was found on the chassis rail.

Seems that something on yours isn't getting correct power.
Bods & jonney's suggestions would be ideal and a great place to start. Hopefully it's something that simple.
Make sure to keep us updated. Goodluck

Cleaned the terminals and put it on charge overnight. Turned the key to start this morning and got a lot of clicking noises (not the typical flat battery sounds) under the bonnet and the dashlights turned off again. Looks like I've got something to do afterwork tonight lol

*edit* Took the battery out and back on the charger because I only had about 10 volts. Will put everything back in when I've got a fully charged battery

Last edited:
is the battery taking a charge ? whats the charged voltage read ? that Clicking is the starter motor trying to turn the engine over but it can,t due to under voltage.

Apparently as he pulled up at his mechanic it spat the belt and one of the pullies (alternator? ) was found on the chassis rail.

Seems that something on yours isn't getting correct power. ..

Turns out, my mates d40, the alternator packed up and wanted to be replaced. He replaced the alternator, a couple of the pullies and the belt. Definetly not as easy as charging the battery but there isn't a point continuously charging the battery if the power isn't being replaced.

Sounds a bit weird, having a new battery and it being flat. As suggested above, once you get it running I'd be checking the alternator voltage output.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Agreed with the above.

When the engine is off and the ignition is turned on, you should expect to see somewhere between 12.4 and 12.8V on the battery.

Once the engine is running, the voltage should fairly quickly rise to between 14.1 and 14.7V. If it doesn't, your alternator isn't working, check that it's turning (the belt might be slipping) and if the alternator is being turned by the motor, it's stuffed.

might be the dreaded alternator clutch pulley not spinning the alternator, but you need the battery and handbrake light to be on!

Thanks for the advice guys.
I took the the battery out of the ute and on to the charger. When I disconnected it the voltage started dropping straight away. Got the battery swapped and hopefully thats the end of that.
I guess I made the mistake of assuming because the battery was new it should be good too.

Latest posts

Back