Aldi fridge.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinE

Reaction score
Just bought one as a 2nd car fridge. Seems OK so far. Looks identical to a Waeco CF40. Got the fridge, baskets & cover for $499. More to follow.................

Gee that sounds like great value! Will be interested to see how long it lasts and power draw, though I imagine they will only stock them for a short while. What is the warranty like?

It's a Secop (Danfoss) BD35 compressor so that part's reliable and power consumption is typically around 4A when cycling. We bought one during early summer and have been using it as a freezer while the 60L Engel spends its life as a fridge. When you live 50km from the nearest large chain food store and your days are 40+, you need something to keep frozen stuff frozen!

And that it did. Performs flawlessly. Worth every cent. I have a small issue with ciggy plugs falling out but that's easy enough to fix by changing them over to Andersons. I set the freezer's digital temperature control to -20 and let it go - it always brings the stuff home in a nicely frozen state no matter the heat of the day.

Gee that sounds like great value! Will be interested to see how long it lasts and power draw, though I imagine they will only stock them for a short while. What is the warranty like?

They have the power draw as 4.4amps, but I reckon that's on the max cool down mode.

2 years warranty.

It's a Secop (Danfoss) BD35 compressor so that part's reliable and power consumption is typically around 4A when cycling. We bought one during early summer and have been using it as a freezer while the 60L Engel spends its life as a fridge. When you live 50km from the nearest large chain food store and your days are 40+, you need something to keep frozen stuff frozen!

And that it did. Performs flawlessly. Worth every cent. I have a small issue with ciggy plugs falling out but that's easy enough to fix by changing them over to Andersons. I set the freezer's digital temperature control to -20 and let it go - it always brings the stuff home in a nicely frozen state no matter the heat of the day.

Music to my ears Tony! :)

An Anderson will go on the 12V cord soon like yours. I plug our other fridge into a battery box via an Anderson & it works well.

I think ours will get used as a freezer on some trips too.

OK, 20 months on here's a quick summary;

It does use more power than our other fridge does.

North of the tropic of Capricorn, it actually failed in the car, in the heat (40c+) We've owned 4 car fridges & have never had a fridge do that before. It had the beers in it at the time, so nothing was spoiled. Got it going again with a re-boot.

Two years for ours, used as a freezer most of the time and it only gives us grief when the battery gets low but that's not the fridge's fault.

It may soon see some use as a fridge in my bike trailer. I've got 4x 35Ah AGM batteries to put in the bottom and that should last me a while, if I can nab a solar panel and charge controller I'll be right for a few days on the bike.

More on the Aldi fridge:

We camped at Wongulla over the Australia day w/e & the fridge worked well (the weather was HOT!).

Went camping in the Flinders 2 weeks ago & took a trip out to the old Nuccaleena Mine - the road was low range 1st -2nd -3rd all the way (very bumpy!) It's a 14KM trip in & it took us an hour each way to travel it. The fridge kept everything nice & cool!

NB: we have now clocked up 2 dozen trips together in the Flinders and still haven't seen it all yet! :smile:

The Flinders are lovely. Did you do the flight over Wilpena Pound? We did and it was awesome. We stayed at Rawnsley Station but I think if I was to do it again we'd go to Wilpena Pound Resort a little further up the road.

Our Aldi (Stirling) fridge is still going strong but we still use it as a freezer not a fridge. I've decided against using it on the bike trailer, and have bought a 70L Esky instead. I even have a pic of that somewhere around here ...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20190316_073217_1024x576.jpg
    20190316_073217_1024x576.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 325
Looking good there Tony, is that a Gold Wing?

I did my 1st trip up there at Easter in 1978, two up (2 blokes) on a Suzuki GS1000. We camped in an on site caravan at Wilpena. We just lobbed & the caravan was available, can you imagine trying that these days lol. I remember Hawker on that trip was very much outback, not at all like these days. My next trip up there was in 1980 on the same bike, but with 2 mates on bikes too. It was the middle of winter & freezing, I was wearing racing leathers, but I still froze! We camped at Wilpena again that time. We've been up there another 22 times since - went back to Wilpena with my wife early on & stayed in rooms there twice, we've stayed at Rawnsley a number of times, in cabins & the caravan park, Both caravan parks + the motel in Hawker, a free camp out at Hookina Creek, Quorn, Wilmington, Arkaroola.......

We've driven up/down Parachilna gorge in a 1991 Ford Laser & a BA Falcon wagon and in 4x4 along Moralana a few times, Brachina/Aroona/Bunyaroo several times, out to the Woolwash, Martins Well, Glass gorge a couple of times, Warraweena/Sliding Rock, Sacred Canyon, the Holowilena track............

The road up from Wilpena to Blinman was still dirt until 2006/2007. I enjoyed it more then.

We still haven't done any flights up there. Probably should one day!

Yeah it sure is, a GL1500 1996, slightly less power than the GL1800 and just 150Nm of torque (but when you compare that to a small car ... yes I'm smiling!).

You're my go-to for advice on where to go in that area then, ok?

The flight was spectacular. Rawnsley Station are home to Helivista who operate a Robinson R44. The pilot is very good - in a fairly strong wind, he lifted off the ground and, without moving across the ground in the wind but staying a metre above the ground, he turned the heli around to face the Pound and then started to climb.

You won't regret doing it.

That's a lot of torque for 2 wheels Tony lol!

In both 2006 & 2007 we had travel auctions for the cabins at Rawnsley in April for 3-4 days. I can't remember which year it was, but during one of those stays we were having dinner in the Woolshed restaurant & the pilot had finished flying for the day and was waiting on tables! :confused3: Talk about multi skilled lol!

Not sure if you did it, but the climb up to the top of Rawnsley Bluff is well worth the effort - stunning views.

Like I said, we still haven't seen it all up there. We haven't been out through Johnburg/Bendleby yet. Every time we go, I think about staying at Carrieton & going out there, but when we get to Carrieton, it's a tad uninspiring & we drive on lol. We missed the turn at Orroroo to Craddock one time (yakking in the car) & ended up driving the dirt road through to Hammond & then Carrieton. Hammond is interesting! We're very lucky to be so close & be able to visit so often.

Just in case anyone is looking for a fridge & missed it; Aldi have one on special again ATM. This time it's a 50L for the same money as I paid for the 40L ($499)

Are they still on sale?

No, but I was in Anaconda yesterday & they have OzTrail fridges on special if you have an Anaconda card - $499 for the 45L & an amazing $599 for the 80L dual zone fridge. They have an LG compressor though & I have no idea whether that's good or bad.

Went up through Marree to Oodnadatta, Mt. Dare, Finke, Old Andado, Santa Teresa & home via Kingoonya with lots of side tracks last month with the Aldi fridge. Some of those roads were a tad corrugated, especially Bloods Creek - Mt. Dare & the way into Mac Clark Park. It didn't miss a beat!

Went up through Marree to Oodnadatta, Mt. Dare, Finke, Old Andado, Santa Teresa & home via Kingoonya with lots of side tracks last month with the Aldi fridge. Some of those roads were a tad corrugated, especially Bloods Creek - Mt. Dare & the way into Mac Clark Park. It didn't miss a beat!

I had to replace the 12V lighter plug on my Aldi fridge - it kept falling out of the socket, so I cut it off and put an Anderson plug in its place. Now it's perfect. Set at -20C, it was holding -19C on a 37C day in the back of my canopy with the windows down.

G'day Tony!

We have another fridge that has a glass fuse in the cig plug. I cut the 12V cable on it & inserted 2 x Anderson plugs, so I could still use the cig plug, or the Anderson.

Then, last year a guy in J Car tells me that there are "fast blow" & "slow blow" 12V fuses (who knew lol) & to try a slow blow in the cig plug. I was sceptical, but did & it hasn't blown since.

It won't stop it falling out of the 12V socket though lol.

I have the same problem, so, i'm thinking of changing over to the merit style plug and socket. similar in looks, but much more durable and handles more current!

https://www.jaycar.com.au/merit-plug/p/PP2090

Merit's are just small circumference 12V cig sockets ericcs - the aldi fridge has them stock standard. It's just that little red plastic ring on the 12V plug that comes off & then it's a merit.

I've read lots about 12V plugs coming out/falling out, but we've been lucky in that regard so far.

I run the fridges off 12V cig sockets while travelling & then switch them to run off Anderson plugs when we're camped. We have a battery box that has 2 x cig sockets, 2 x merit sockets & 2 x Anderson plugs. I saw some in BCF on the W/E that have 2 x USB sockets as well & they were about $100 cheaper than we paid for our battery box way back when. The best part about the BCF battery box IMO was that the volt meter LED is on the top of the box. Ours is on the side & that can be a PITA. We run a 105AH AGM battery, but are about to upgrade to a slimline AGM that sits behind the rear seats in the D22.

We'll likely take both batteries when travelling though. The current one has heaps of life left in it yet.

Latest posts

Back