d40 blowing white smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi fellas, I have this exact problem. There was no issue until I fitted a exhaust with no cat or muffler and straight away, once i took it for a drive come to a stop and at idle it just starts bellowing white smoke, slowly clears up after a couple of minutes. I fitted a catch can and while I was doing that i removed the intercooler and all piping and cleaned all the oil out hoping this would clean it up and I still have the same problem. So with the engine running i removed the filler cap and there is very noticeable air blowing out. With the filler cap back on I removed the breather hose off the valve cover and there seems to be very little air blowing out that. So my question is, is there anything in the valve cover that can block up?

A manual blowing white smoke is most likely going to be dirty/worn injectors. There is a small exhaust-stroke injection in the manuals to feed the CAT but nothing that would cause white smoke.

Although, here's a question: does the white smoke disappear once the engine is warm?

no mate. will only get the smoke bellowing once it is at operating temp. Undone the flange at the bottom of the dump pipe this evening and its pretty oily. Have done some reading tonight and im leaning towards the turbo being the problem although I dont want to lash out and buy one if its not the problem. Do you rekon there is any other way that much oil can make its way to the exhaust side of the turbo?

I am assuming the smoke is oil burning thats sitting in the exhaust. while i am driving theres no smoke but once i pull up give it 5 seconds and it starts smoking. I wonder if it was a problem before but the cat was helping it burn off and become unnoticeable

Oil shouldn't be present in the exhaust side of the turbo (the turbine or hot side) unless a seal's gone. You can get seal kits on eBay for the Garrett 2056V or if you think its time is up, you can get a replacement turbocharger with a billet-cut impeller from Forefront Industries. All you need to do is figure out if the exhaust face has 3 or 4 bolts holding it in place.

Burning oil usually causes blue smoke. A failing turbo usually causes black smoke. The blue smoke is quite noticeably blue and the black smoke is heavily black, like ... well, here's a good example:

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHsp0Q6ISBo[/YT]

Back