d40 blowing white smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodenshoes

Reaction score
hi i have a 07 d40 stx that has just started to blow smoke when i pull up. it has been to nissan today and they came out and had a look and they dont think it is injectors . it starts fine and runs well but when you take it for a short drive and pull up the smoke is that bad it covers the hole ute .any help would be great thanks Adam

hi i have a 07 d40 stx that has just started to blow smoke when i pull up. it has been to nissan today and they came out and had a look and they dont think it is injectors . it starts fine and runs well but when you take it for a short drive and pull up the smoke is that bad it covers the hole ute .any help would be great thanks Adam

goodbye engine.
is it diesel or petrol?

either injectors leaking (don't drive it if it is!) or turbo leaking oil past the rear seal. some times they will do that if the breather is blocked ie fitted a small catch can.

its not an auto with DPF is it?

Have you removed the cat? My understanding of that thread was the dpf can go if the sensors are still in place. But the trouble is removing the cat as well.
As Tweak's mentioned read the thread for the detail.

Last edited:
when did you remove the dpf?
The thread is DPF and CAT removal- no white smoke. or something like that.
Click on the search forum box at the top of the page and type DPF

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue with the white smoke coming back after 6 months.
I'm going to put the CAT back on in the next week or so and see how it goes. If it happens again, I will try the sleeve over the O2 sensor.

hi wooden shoes just wondering if you found the cause of your white smoke ?? im having the same problem cheers

white smoke when coming to a stop

Help needed. Mine is blowing white smoke when i pull up at lights. then it goes away. please help someone

2009 D40 turbo diesel. DPF filter intact. no dash warning lights. car drives great no power loss.

White smoke is always excess fuel that combustion isn't even starting on (partly combusted fuel produces black smoke, burning oil produces blue smoke). There are a couple of possibilities and it does depend on when it's occurring.

Your injectors might not be closing properly. Injector cleaner might be needed - a can of Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment in your next tank is well worth your while trying.

DPF-equipped engines occasionally open the injectors during the exhaust stroke as the piston is rising (exhaust valve open) so that the CAT can be 'fed'. The CAT requires a hydrocarbon to activate it and in our engines that's just diesel. Some cars and many buses and truck now use Adblue for this ... anyway, in our engines if the exhaust injection is too long or at too high a pressure (is your engine chipped?) there'll be too much fuel and you'll see white smoke.

I'd try the good stuff first. A can should set you back about $25 at SCA.

White smoke is always excess fuel that combustion isn't even starting on (partly combusted fuel produces black smoke, burning oil produces blue smoke). There are a couple of possibilities and it does depend on when it's occurring.
er no.

very common for white smoke to be engine oil leaking into the exhaust.
common with turbo failures.
keep in mind that the cat will help burn it.
more so if the smoke is at idle where funny enough blowby is at its worse.

so possible turbo failure or crankcase breather is blocked (ie catch can).

Oil smoke is blue, but it depends how well "trained" your eye is as to whether it looks blue or white...

I thought those had an injector in the exhaust for when the dpf needed a regen? Maybe it's leaking a tad?

usually find that the oil will put out white smoke rather than a straight blue. possible a white with blue tinge but i doubt many would notice that.
sometimes a mix of black as well.
a lot of it depends on temps, cat dpf etc to how well the oil gets burnt.

i had the same with my toyo when catch can blocked up. white smoke at idle especially when hitting the throttle after sitting at idle.

afaik (d40's not really my thing) no separate injector for regen. it just fires the normal injectors, i assume on exhaust stroke, for regen.

It is the normal injectors firing during the exhaust stroke. There was some word of a 7th injector in the V9X but neither of the manuals for this engine that I have show it or discuss it even in the areas detailing a complete overhaul of the fuel pump, rails and injectors.

Latest posts

Back