Newbie with a question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozza64

Reaction score
Hi GUYS, I have a Navara Spanish built ST 2013 diesel model. It has a bulbar and winch is to go on yet. I want to do a lap Of Australia late next year. It also has factory fitted tow bar 3 tonne. I also have fitted a 150 lt fuel tank I have not bought a caravan yet and I am after advice on how big / weight that the car would be able to tow without flogging the guts out of the car, and to stay legal.
I am thinking a semi off road van 18 - 20 foot. There will be only 2 people going. Thanks for the help in advance. Wozza a newbie.

Hello Wozza, I'd load it with everything you'd normaly carry including a full tank of fuel, passengers ect. The go to a public weighbridge and see what the weight is, that will allow you to narrow down your van options and what the tug can legally tow.
Cheers

You ought to do just fine. My 126kW 2009 2.5L TD pulls a 2.5T caravan and while it doesn't conquer hills like an Escudo, I haven't blown the motor up with something nearing 100,000km of towing now (she's done somewhere over 243,000km in total).

Weighing things is just common sense. Remember that certain ball weights require a specific drop in GVM, so you might end up compromising on some stuff with a really big van.

My wife and I were touring with an 18' (5.5m) Future Systems van - 1.8T, double bed, toilet and shower - it was okay, but when the little guy came along we felt it was time to get him his own bed and justified the change in van.

The important things for us apart from sufficient beds: toilet, oven, cupboard space, solar power. We have one water tank that we only fill with good water so that our drinking water is never compromised.

Hope that helps a little!

Thanks for the advice guys. You have put my mind at ease. A20 footer will be the go for me I think. With weight to spare.

Back