Strange Request

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinelli

Reaction score
Hi all,
I haven't been an active member on this forum for quite a few years, since I got rid of my D21 . (sad face). I got an email today from this forum, from someone named 'NAVARAFORUMUSER', with some detailed questions about interchangeability about gearboxes.

Gmail seems to think this might be a phishing scam, so if this is a legitimate question, you might be better asking it here in the forum, and I'll do my best to answer. Might even get more intelligent responses form others who still have Navaras!

The user in question looks like a legitimate user (with an odd name). At a guess they've done some research and discovered that you may know what you're talking about hence the questions - a specific request like that is rather odd for a scam, usually scammers are not quite so technically specific. They might be clever (here's the latest one we've heard of) but they don't get into details like parts from one car fitting another.

I'd say the request is genuine, and think it's someone who's in need of the info but perhaps unsure about asking publicly. I get a lot of PMs myself asking for details of this or that (usually in relation to stuff I've posted a lot about in the forum, like 12V, SCV/turbo issues, towing etc). I too would like to see some of these questions asked publicly but recognise that some people (even with the anonymity afforded by a user name) just don't like getting up on stage.

I was curious how this person was able to Email the op as he stated. No member would have access to those details perhaps he means he received a PM?.

Pinelli has the option "Receive email from other users" active (people can change this in the User Control Panel under "Edit Options" - ticking the box "Receive Email from Other Members" (which is ticked by default).

Of course, when you send someone a PM, the system can send you an email with the contents of that PM. This option is enabled or disabled a little further down that same configuration page under "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages".

Latest posts

Back