battery replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benengel

Reaction score
Evening all,
looking at replacing both batteries in the navara soon. what batteries has every one put into there navs? and also is it worth switching to a isolater setup with the 2nd battery or keeping it stock

Hey mate,

I have replaced both mine with ns70 sized batteries. I have put an isolator in and put a lead acid flooded cell deep cycle as the aux battery. I believe I have seen mention on the forum of being able to fit an n70zz in on the right side, but it requires moving wiring that runs down the inside of the quarter panel and I didn't fancy doing that.

Ns70 are slightly longer than the factory 55d23 size (I think that was what was in there) but they are pretty much a snug fit for the plastic tray that sits on the bottom of the battery trays.

I used 2 Century batteries from Supercheap after nearly 8 years on the originals.
I just measured the original space on the trays and got the biggest batteries I could find.
I ended up with a much higher CCA rating than I had before.

I can have a look for you if you need a number.

What cca rating would you recommend for the two batteries?
Can you go too big? And the alternator not charge them?
I'll look at the ns70 and see what I can find.

From memory the stock ones are around 540cca each. I have a century heavy duty ns70 for the cranker which is 720cca from memory, and a ns70t deep cycle as the aux which is 85ah. I have a redarc isolator fitted and a 150w solar panel on the roof rack to keep the aux battery charged as I leave my fridge running all the time.

Have never had any trouble with the alternator keeping them both charged. You can get a lot of different brands in that size, so the best thing to do is see what you can get locally. I'm not sure what you can get over in nz, but that size is the biggest you'll fit without modifying anything.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

A higher CCA just means that the battery is more capable of delivering the power you need. The D22 draws around 500 amps when cranking, so a 540CCA battery is really only just crossing the line.

I replaced mine with a 910CCA Century battery and never have any trouble starting it (but mine's a D40 with only one battery). If I had the two, I'd isolate the second as others have done and use it for accessories.

From the factory Tony, they are wired in parallel as there isn't a lot of room to fit an n70zz like the zd30 had, with the EGR setup on the yd25. Because they are sold in colder climates, they fitted 2 smaller (55d23 rings a bell) to make up for not having the one big one. I believe some warmer countries only had a single one fitted with the space on the left side empty.

When I still had the 2 factory batteries in mine, I fitted an isolator between them and used the left side one as an aux battery. The main cranker was fine for a few years, I only really replaced it because after sitting for a week at a time going away for work it was not sounding great and I didn't fancy getting back to a flat battery. The second one on the other hand didn't fare too well because the first isolator I fitted (projecta brand) must have carboned up the contacts from uncoupling when cranking so it stopped charging the aux battery (this was long before the solar panel) so that battery ran down to 6 volts a few times (oops). I replaced that with another projecta one and must have fried the control unit when trying to jump start off the second battery one day when the cranking battery went flat because I left the lights on (oops again haha).

After that I replaced the isolator with the redarc sbi12 and have had no trouble since. I replaced the second battery with the deep cycle before I changed the original cranking battery. It was a while after that I fitted the solar panel, originally 100w and then replaced that with a 150w. When it is sunny enough the solar will prevent the isolator from disconnecting the batteries so the cranker gets charged too. I haven't got one of the isolators that couples from both directions, only once the primary battery is above the coupling voltage it will connect the batteries.

Off the top of my head, I think the factory cranker lasted around 5 years, it would have been a single cranking battery for around 4-4.5 of that. I can double check, but it didn't do too badly for such a small capacity battery.

The ones I installed are Century NS70 MF and NS70L MF, Yes there is a left and right side. Both batteries have 650 CCA and they are a no maintenance battery. Couldn't be happier.
Like I said, I got just shy of 8 years from the factory GL's and that surprised me.

Everything in my ute is stock as far as the electrical system is concerned.

Bods, I believe the 2012, 13,14 only had a single battery here in the YD25 also.

Ah ok, it could have been when they went back to building them in Japan for a while after the flooding in Thailand... Maybe it was a jap thing...?

The ones I installed are Century NS70 MF and NS70L MF, Yes there is a left and right side. Both batteries have 650 CCA and they are a no maintenance battery. Couldn't be happier.
Like I said, I got just shy of 8 years from the factory GL's and that surprised me.

Everything in my ute is stock as far as the electrical system is concerned.

Bods, I believe the 2012, 13,14 only had a single battery here in the YD25 also.

Nah, mine's 2013 & has two batteries stock.

Ah ok, it could have been when they went back to building them in Japan for a while after the flooding in Thailand... Maybe it was a jap thing...?

Yeah, maybe the cyclone one's built in Japan only had one? I think that was 2011?

Any body in vic looking to replace batteries,after been quoted nearly $200 per battery replacement with cheap batteries I chased down a mob in Boxhill that sells Exide Extreme with 720cc and 95ah at $168 per battery,they are at rear of Caltex Whitehorse rd.These are standard for D22 size.

Last edited:
What cca rating would you recommend for the two batteries?
Can you go too big? And the alternator not charge them?
I'll look at the ns70 and see what I can find.

I have an 810CCA start battery and a 120Ah AGM secondary for fridge, lights, whatever. Never had a problem with it being too much for the alternator.

Latest posts

Back