crazy thought or not! infect ecu from laptop

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicszd30

Reaction score
Howdy all, I was wondering "as I know sweet "f a" about computers" is it a concern that you could infect an E.C.U with a virus from a dirty/infected laptop!
I just received ECU Talk usb drive and I don't feel safe downloading the programme from their site as my laptop is doing all sorts of crazy stuff - so much so I've cleaned by removing and reprograming etc but still weird shite is happening -so I don't want to take the chance- should I just buy a cheap tablet?
Has anyone else run ecu talk trough a tablet ? if so what brand and model? thanks once again everyone, cheers vic

go easy - like I said I know sfa about computers;)

hahaha did you ! fukc me lol I thought I was a dill for asking this! I didn't even bother doing a search.... cheers man I'll take a look!

I think I will go the safest rout and buy a new cheap tablet! I wonder if you could infect an ecu from a laptop though????

Oh yes I did read/see your post before! Good to know fella! Could you use a smaller screen? I wonder what is the smallest screen I could use.. Cant ask ecu talk as he is closed for a few weeks danmit!

I don't think you could corrupt the ECU as you are not downloading any data or files to it, just reading the data from it. Theoretically, you could use the smallest device available with Windows, but I find 8" in a touch screen is small enough for my fat fingers!

I can't say for the older OBD ports, but the newer OBDII ports needs to be rewired in order to write data to the ECU. A standard port reader won't allow it, and no BT module I know of will allow it - you must have a cabled version, you need to open it and rewire it to add a switch so that you can jump between read and write modes.

It'll be a real worry when your BT OBD adapter can write to the ECU. You're sitting at the lights and the guy in the car next to you has a stealth program on his smartphone that looks for BT OBD adapters, pairs to them then dumps your odometer reading into your fuel map.

I don't think you could corrupt the ECU as you are not downloading any data or files to it, just reading the data from it. Theoretically, you could use the smallest device available with Windows, but I find 8" in a touch screen is small enough for my fat fingers!

just thought i'd ask- my luck lately "you know".. yeah 8' would be good enough i'd say! cheers fella's!

I can't say for the older OBD ports, but the newer OBDII ports needs to be rewired in order to write data to the ECU. A standard port reader won't allow it, and no BT module I know of will allow it - you must have a cabled version, you need to open it and rewire it to add a switch so that you can jump between read and write modes.

It'll be a real worry when your BT OBD adapter can write to the ECU. You're sitting at the lights and the guy in the car next to you has a stealth program on his smartphone that looks for BT OBD adapters, pairs to them then dumps your odometer reading into your fuel map.

You have some evil thoughts there tony;) you don't own a white cat and have a "mini you" running around your feet do you:)

Latest posts

Back