Yd25 start up rattle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pane

Reaction score
G'day

Done a bit of searching but still have a question.

How many Kay's do they normally do before the rattle normally starts?

I've done 70,000 Kay's now and it's had the rattle at start up for the last 5000 Kay's and getting worse. I assume its timing chain noise as it sounds like its coming from behind the drive pulley.

Just want to catch it before it breaks.

Cheers

135000 on mine and still sounds fine.
I was told from a mechanic that when the timing chain starts to go , you will really notice a lot of noise.
Are you sure that your not hearing the fan belts squeaking?
Changing all the belts quietens down the noise dramatically.

Could be the timing chain. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for the tensioner to extend (as it is hydraulically actuated) and as such a bit of a rattle exists at start up.

Would definitely be worth getting it checked in my opinion.

Just to clarify, what year/model/build country is your D40?

Could be the timing chain. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for the tensioner to extend (as it is hydraulically actuated) and as such a bit of a rattle exists at start up.

Would definitely be worth getting it checked in my opinion.

Just to clarify, what year/model/build country is your D40?
Considering this is in the d22 section, it probably isn't a d40 lol.

Noisy belts seem to be more of a problem with the d22s. It would be worth changing them first if they haven't been changed and see if it changes the noise. If not then time to get the timing chain looked at...

Just went through this exact same problem, replaced my belts with new genuine ones and no more rattling. They were stuffed at 70 000 ks.

Considering this is in the d22 section, it probably isn't a d40 lol.

Noisy belts seem to be more of a problem with the d22s. It would be worth changing them first if they haven't been changed and see if it changes the noise. If not then time to get the timing chain looked at...

Ah yes indeed! Just another habitual/paranoid D40 owner over here :rofl2:

my bet would be either top tensioner or belts, no idea if they changed the layout in the common rail models you get now but mine has 4 belts.... with no auto tensioner so pretty easy to destroy them.

G'day

2012 model ute.

I understand the theory on belts but this isn't a squeak its more of a slapping metal sound. Could be tensioner too I guess as that been slack will cause noises.

Filter is genuine Nissan. It's only ever been serviced at Nissan. I'll get the belts done anyway at the next service and see how I go.

Thanks guys.

Cheers

How long does the noise last for when you hear it? I changed my belts at 65k km, 2010 model and they had been noisy for quite a long time before that. They are silent now and I have no abnormal noises on startup. For the last couple of oil changes I have used ryco oil filters too.

It sounds absolutely horrible especially when cold.
Literally start your car cold and chuck some water on the belts and if it goes away it's your belts.
They aren't that hard to change.

Latest posts

Back