Using a standard sports bar for a rear rack?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMentalGrey

Reaction score
After shifting from a wagon to the D40, one thing I am missing is the extra length I used to have in the cab for timbers etc that are longer than the tub, but never used to require putting on the roof of the wagon.

Is it possible to use a second sports bar adapted to the rear of the tub to make a cheap rear rack? I see them frequently on gumtree etc going for next to nothing and figured it might be a cheap way to go. It's not going to get loaded up much, just for picking up lengths of timber, or occasional kayak etc.

i have seen the use of 2 x sports bars on a couple of Navaras , the only thing is the extra lower x bar part does get in the way for side access to the tub.
why don,t you buy [ ebay ] a rear alloy tradie rack bar plus you can buy an add on bar for the front standard bar sa both ends are the same height plus they look good too. saw a full set for under $200 on Ebay.

You can do it thats how i have done it. I have a roof rack mounted on them. The sports bars finish flush with the roof, so you may have to mount something on top to make them higher.
The support bars are removable so i only have them on the front bar.

You can do it thats how i have done it. I have a roof rack mounted on them. The sports bars finish flush with the roof, so you may have to mount something on top to make them higher.
The support bars are removable so i only have them on the front bar.

That's what I was thinking. I should be able to get a sports bar for under $100, a little time in the shed and make something up to mount it. Any chance of a pic of how yours is mounted?

I'm aware of the height issue, but it shouldn't be hard to make something to mount on top of the bar to raise the height enough to clear the roof.

why don,t you just buy some squre 2 inch steel tube and weld up a frame for your D-40 ? paint it silver to match the front stock rack , should look cool. lol

I drilled a hole and installed a rivet nut, in which the bolt in the photo is screwed in to. The other photo is it of my roof rack

Attachments

• 20170112_175947.jpg
    20170112_175947.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 20170112_180046.jpg
    20170112_180046.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 178

Latest posts

Back