D22 won't start occasionally or when it stalls

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kye

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum so not sure if this is the right place for this but anyway a couple months back my 2003 d22 3.0 ltr TD nav started loosing revs while driving and would clunk out and not start, we'd get her going by pumping fuel (priming) in through the fuel filter and starting the car with foot flat on the accelerator.
The problem then developed to a stage where the car would drive completeley normally but occasionally wouldnt start and we'd have to go through the previous process to get her going. At this stage roll starting it wouldnt work.
The problem has developed again so that whenever the car stalls it wont start and itll occasionally, every 2 weeks or so wont start. Note, it no longer has any problems whilst actually driving. The other weird part is that now to get her going ive got to roll start it and the previously used process to get it going won't work. Also fully turning off ignition doesnt make a difference.
Any ideas or help would really be appreciated thanks!

first thing i would be checking is the fuel filter primmer . if it doesn,t stay hard overnight this means it is leaking pressure and needs to be pump up again to build up primmed pressure so the engine will kick.
you need to make sure both rubber fuel lines at filter / primmer housing are not leaking and in perfect condition also sometimes the filter will leak pressure [ not fuel ] due to the O-Ring inside the housing or the O-Ring on the filter.
cheack these firsatly before going further as this will eliminate atleast one issue.
also have a close look at the Fuel Injectors for visible leakage where they screw into the head cover , any leaks means the seals need replacing.
let us know how you go from there.

Yeah, as above. Sounds like lack of fuel or fuel pressure if you had to pump it up to get it going. It might be worth changing the fuel filter (if you haven't already). Try the primer pump again, if you need more than 2-3 pumps before the it feels completely solid (so that you can't move it), it is either faulty or it will be losing pressure somewhere else (filter seal, hose etc). Mine took a few kicks to start at one stage, noticed the primer went solid after a couple of pumps, but not completely, was always a bit squishy. Replaced it and after couple of pumps it wouldn't move now if I stood on it lol. Fixed it.

As you seem to be having intermittent problems, could be something else entirely but worth trying these things first. Has the ecm light been on at any time through this?

Last edited:
navara wont start

if its same fuel pump as 1998 model .there could be blocked filter in delivery line inside the bolt at pump

Latest posts

Back