2008 Navara D40 - Loss of power/black smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wesrk001

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have read through a lot of the old posts regarding the above issues so I'm sorry if this is a rehash.
Navara suddenly lost power and started blowing smoke on a trip out of town.
Limped back to town, put car in for diagnosis.
Here is a list of what they have done:
1. Replaced fuel filter with Genuine Nissan filter
2. Replaced all 4 injectors
3. turbo boost has been checked - is fine
4. CAT has been bashed out of exhaust system
5. Replaced SCV (reset ECU - showing no fault codes)
6. cleaned MAF sensor
7. Upon inspection it was found car already had blanking plate on EGR.

Car still lacking guts and blowing a ton of smoke. Fuel economy is non existent (car was once very good for a 4WD we thought)

PLEASE HELP!!

And no better hey....how much smoke...you got coal coming out? Or just a nice diesel haze? Does it at any point in the rev range clear up?

Welcome to the forum, Peter!

When you take the battery lead off, you should press the brakes to consume the remaining power in the system - the ECU will retain a small charge for up to half an hour otherwise. Pressing the brakes forces that charge to dissipate through the brake lights.

If that doesn't work then the ECU is writing the information to non-volatile memory and we've all got it wrong. I suppose it's possible that Nissan also made some changes so that we HAVE to use the reset procedure - which is here:

Original post: Exhaust mod with DPF page 2 post 27081 (http://www.navara.asia/d40-engine/2536-exhaust-mod-dpf-2.html#post27081)

Modifications to refine procedure are in bold.

D40 ECU RESET PROCEDURE
To carry out the reset do the following:

Warm up the vehicle to normal operating temperature then turn the vehicle off.

Turn ignition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds.

PUMP accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds....

With foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedal for 10 seconds...

After 10 seconds the Engine Management Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

The Nav is now in diagnostics mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. Then press and hold the accelerator pedal down for more than 10 seconds - this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc and put them into learning mode.

Holding the accelerator for that long ends the procedure.

From D40 Fuel Economy page 26 post 36741 (http://www.navara.asia/d40-general-chat/39-d40-fuel-economy-26.html#post36741):
DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION OFF. Take the vehicle for a nice gentle drive, go through all the gears and then shut the vehicle down to finish the learning process.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... so if you know how to read the fault codes or know the sequences then you can figure out any possible faults with your Nav with out getting the dealer to do it!! :D

From D40 Fuel Economy page 26 post 36627 (http://www.navara.asia/d40-general-chat/39-d40-fuel-economy-26.html#post36627):
Seeing 1 set of 10 slow flashes followed by 3 sets of 10 flashes fast means there are no faults found or stored.

Do you have a boost gauge or a obd2 scantool? Need to see whats happening with the boost pressure.how high do you rev yours normally?

Sounds like an air intake restriction, if you have a snorkel, has anyone checked to see if it's swallowed a bird? (that has happened before)

This is the sort of problem usually caused by a lacklustre turbocharger, but also from an over-excited fuel chip (particularly those like No Limits chips which are just rail pressure sensor modifiers).

There's no air intake restriction issues. There are no limit chips in this vehicle.
Our main issue remains lack of power. It's generally used as a tow vehicle, needless to say we are grounded at the moment.

Hi People
I have a 2002 Navara D22 low milage
I ah exactly the same problem, instant loss of power and thick black smoke. I limped home thinking the worst. My brother and nephew have an auto electrical business. He put the tester on and no faults came up. I took the ute to his workshop and my nephew fixed it in no time. He just cleaned out the EGR valve which was clogged and then all was good. A quick cheap fix. TRY THIS
Royden

Latest posts

Back