Engine noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan76

Reaction score
Hey all just a question my Nav is making a bit of noise when it's at about 2 tho revs the noise reminds me of the old v8 pinging noise. It seems really loud after I change gears it's a 08 2.5 common rail any advise would be good cheers.

its possible this noise could be coming from the Timing Chain / Guide area. you really need to get close to the area and listen so spot where its coming from.
maybe pop into a mechanics workshop and ask them to take a look / listen with there Stethoscope [ simular to what a doctor uses but has a long probe on the end ] one other thing you could check is the join between the turbo and dump pipe , is it tight and not leaking?

Ok so an update did the diesel purge and it has made a bit of difference a bit quieter less smoke feels smoother but still has a loud rattly noise but only up around the 2000 rpm mark. Could it be a faulty injector, you can't hear it at idle or before 2tho revs and when in 5th gear cruising any ideas would be appreciated

have you bothered to get a mechanic to listen with a stethoscope to make sure its not the timing chain about to break.? if the noise is coming from the front chain area its either the chain stretched or the chain guides worn causing a lose chain / rattle ping.

Yeah took it to Nissan here in Warwick and they say there's nothing wrong with it and we have no diesel mechanics in Warwick so next time im in Toowoomba I will go and see one I think just to find out. When it's at idle the noise is not there at all.

Last edited:
Common Rail does have a different noise if your used to mechanical injection diesel. Find someone with the same motor and go for a drive, it will probably sound the same as yours.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back