D22 blowing smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter647

Reaction score
Hi guys i have been reading on this forum about the D22 blowing smoke and I wasnt sure what you would call an excessive amount of smoke. When i take off from the lights if i boot it abit say 2500-3000 revs it sometimes blows out a fair bit of smoke which is visible in the rear view mirror. I have also read about resetting the ecu and thought I would give it a go. After I reset it I went for a drive and at first take off it felt like a rocket and i didnt notice any smoke at all. After about 10 minutes of testing as in stopping and taking off again I only noticed a small amount of smoke each time, certainly not like it did before. Might get someone to follow me to see if it is bad or not. Can you tell me am I worrying to much about this issue as the ute is only 2 months old and shouldnt have any problems.Should I just speak to the service guy about it when my 10,000 service is due and see what he suggests. Also another guy here owns a 2006 ST-R with a 3 liter motor, does any one know the correct procedure for resetting the ecu in his vehicle. i dont even know what the ecu is to be honest and what effect this has in resetting. any knowlegde and information would be greatful.
:wash_truck:

Signed
Dumbass.

Mine will only blow black smoke if I almost stall it when its cold. Well from what I can see from the drivers seat.

Dave.

My bet is Woody says the same thing of his D40, but when I was following him the other day there was more black smoke than I had expected.

Hi all,
I have a 2008 model D22 the smoked under load, it's all fixed after 2.5 year of complaining to Nissan. Nissan won't fix it if it's not excessive smoke but won't tell you what excessive smoke is. After many heated talks they came to the party and repaced the injecters and that fixed it. You need to tell them that it smokes under load, I spoke to the head service manager and he did tell me that there is a problem with the injecters in the D22 CR.

Hi all,
I have a 2008 model D22 the smoked under load, it's all fixed after 2.5 year of complaining to Nissan. Nissan won't fix it if it's not excessive smoke but won't tell you what excessive smoke is. After many heated talks they came to the party and repaced the injecters and that fixed it. You need to tell them that it smokes under load, I spoke to the head service manager and he did tell me that there is a problem with the injecters in the D22 CR.

I will make sure i push for them to change injectors when the 10,000 service arrives, hopefully that will fix the problem. As i said its not blowing as much smoke once i did the ecu.

I was made to believe that it's pretty normal for the 2.5 CRs to blow a bit of smoke under some boot. But this is coming from nissan service so... *shrug*
After i got the car, it was checked by nissan for a whining noise, at which i was told, she's fine mate, blows a bit of smoke, which is pretty normal for these engines. Then i asked how normal, because it looked like someone threw a smoke bomb in their work-shop after he revved it a bit.

He proceeded to tell me that, common rails are made to be revved higher than it's older 3.0 liter brother. And that if you drive for a while without revving higher, than say, 3k, next time you go over 3k, it'll blow a fair bit of smoke... and clear all the shit out.
I gear change at 2.0-3.0k. I hardly ever try and go above 3.0 which might not be good for the engine...so i'm told. But i do realize that if i give it a bit above 3k, it does blow smoke for the first time, and then after that, not as much.
But i'll definitely mention this to them at the 10k service.

the harder you drive it the less they seem to smoke. we have a 2010 str that smokes a bit even with the egr block done, but it doesn't get driven hard much at all. i also drive a 2009 dx 2wd for work, which is constantly revved to between 3 and 4k rpm between gear shifts and it doesn't blow much smoke at all. still gets good fuel economy too, better than 10l/100km so i guess you don't have to drive slow to get good fuel mileage from these motors either...

hey guys ive got a d22 2010 model never blown smoke, my mates has been blowing a bit of smoke. He just tried reseting the computer when the car was hot and change fuel from bp to shell. Smoke has pretty much stoped and more ks out of tank simple but it worked mate is happy as now. he has a 09 d22 also another mate had the same proble with a 09 he fitted a snorkel and since stoped something to do with more air ?? runs leaner, im not to sure about but it did stop smoke after snorkel was fitted

quite possible that they got rid of a restriction in the air inlet when they fitted the snorkel.

be interesting if anyone notices less smoke on a cold day. under bonnet heat goes way up when you stop so it tends to suck a lot of hot air in when you take off.
the less restriction or denser air makes it so much easier for the turbo to make boost so it can run a bit leaner which is good.

still blowing smoke

Booked my ute in for it's 10,000 in july once back from thailand, told the dealer about the smoke and he said they do blow a bit and also i haven't done a lot of kays he said. wtf has that got to do with blowing a lot of smoke? He said maybe we just need to reset the ecu which i said has already been done and it is still blowing lots of smoke. If he asks shall I say that the dealer who did the 1000 klm service reset the ecu or doesnt it matter. Just thinking if he knows I did it myself he may suggest that they are now not responsible for any problems with the vehicle now? Very tempted to block the egr off as I have heard this will reduce the smoke but my cousin is a mechanic and he mentioned not to do any mods like that until the warranty expires? What are everyones thoughts. You know what its like sitting at the lights put your foot down and the gut behind has trouble with his vision due to the smoke screen you left, and also you dont want to give your vehicle a bad perception to others:suicide2:I think my truck is the best thing since sliced bread and am proud to drive it on the road, but the smoke thing seems to let it down sometimes. It smokes if i push it heavy under load between 3 grand and up. What are your suggestions?

Booked my ute in for it's 10,000 in july once back from thailand, told the dealer about the smoke and he said they do blow a bit and also i haven't done a lot of kays he said. wtf has that got to do with blowing a lot of smoke? He said maybe we just need to reset the ecu which i said has already been done and it is still blowing lots of smoke. If he asks shall I say that the dealer who did the 1000 klm service reset the ecu or doesnt it matter. Just thinking if he knows I did it myself he may suggest that they are now not responsible for any problems with the vehicle now? Very tempted to block the egr off as I have heard this will reduce the smoke but my cousin is a mechanic and he mentioned not to do any mods like that until the warranty expires? What are everyones thoughts. You know what its like sitting at the lights put your foot down and the gut behind has trouble with his vision due to the smoke screen you left, and also you dont want to give your vehicle a bad perception to others:suicide2:I think my truck is the best thing since sliced bread and am proud to drive it on the road, but the smoke thing seems to let it down sometimes. It smokes if i push it heavy under load between 3 grand and up. What are your suggestions?

No one there?

i would block egr reguardless of warranty.

but if its smoking at higher rpm and under high load, short of stuck egr, its probably injectors.
they also had problems with suction valve (?) and fuel return valve. plenty of info around, check out D40 section as fuel system will be the same.

Whats the fuel quality like ?

What condition are the injectors in ?

Km's.

fuel is from shell so i beleive quality is not bad

Not sure on condtion of injectors as the vehicle as only done 6000 klms, so i say they should be okay. I have put a couple of bottles of injector cleaner with the fuel, seemed to help abit.

Mabe i get them to check it out at the service and if not repaired do the egr block and see how it goes.

also my question on the ecu reset does it matter who did it to the dealer or not?

Ok I am confused.

What age D22 and what motor do you have ?

YD25's are CRD, ZD30's dont smoke as bad as the YD25's.

Ok cool.

I was thinking WTF a 2006 model with 6000km's.

Are the injectors noisy ?

Dont mean to sound like a dummy but what noise would they be making if they were noisy. I cant hear any different sounds than normal.

Around that age had dodgy injectors.

Plenty of people have had them changed under warrenty.

Around that age had dodgy injectors.

Plenty of people have had them changed under warrenty.

i will push the dealer to change them if they cant stop the smoke, problem is the perception you get from the dealer is they all blow smoke but no one will say what is excessive or not. they seem to think that if you cant see in the workshop after revving the motor that may be normal (just an example, mine doesnt blow that much) but i am concerned about this problem, what about longevity of engine due to excessive smoke?

Latest posts

Back