Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Engine

Dpf delete advice
Old 14-05-2019, 03:01 PM

Garage
Default Dpf delete advice

Hi guys I am new here so please be patient with me

My 2011 D40 (auto) has recently started having DPF issues, starting with loss of power for a short period, then clouds of smoke(dpf burn), other than the fume smell getting stronger the car was fine for a few days, then the DPF light came on followed by the engine light, but it didn't go into limp mode.
I have since had it serviced, the codes reset, workshop performed a burn. All good for a week, then engine light again, EGR exhaust sensor codes etc, all reset. Lasted a week now back where I started with DPF light and smell etc, wont reset.
Workshop advised me of 2 options: New DPF filter, or buy a delete kit with sensors etc.

I am considering getting a DPF delete pipe fitted and remapping but after many hours of searching the net and talking to others I am confused even more on what to buy and where from.
Do I need to get an EGR blanking plate?
Do I need to buy sensors or will the remap and pipe "trick" the sensors?
Is it true I would get more power and better fuel economy if I go down this path?

So many questions! Any advice or recommendations would be great!

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links

Old 14-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Welcome to the forum.

I've had experience with this myself, it was caused by another issue but the end result was the same.

As part of the solution (as an attempt at a quick remedy which was not successful) we had the DPF hollowed out (just put it on a bench and smash at the guts of it with a variety of tools). We tried connecting the fore-and-aft sensor pipe at the sensor (near the ABS unit on the side wall of the engine bay back near the hinge). Resetting the DPF with a workshop tool cost me $50 and lasted about 200km.

In the end, the solution was rather easy (and probably helped by hollowing out the DPF, which looks like it's still intact from the outside).

Send a PM to one of our members here - auggie - and ask them for replacement DPF sensors. Replacing the sensors is easy, just put the same coloured plug sensor in the place where you took it from on the DPF and away you go. The DPF light will clear itself, no need to see a workshop. Just go for a drive.

Matt's worth talking to and his service is impeccable.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 15-05-2019, 12:11 AM

Advance headers at holden hill in adelaide are absolute gems when it comes to d40 DPFs
I think they're the SA agent for matt augusts reprogrammed sensors
I got a dpf delete pipe, dump pipe amd reprogrammed sensors for my 07 STX auto from advance, and everything went in perfect with no issues for over 15,000 ks now

I advise give them a call

Blocking the EGR is a separate issue but yes thats a good idea too. Cheap and easy to do

Old 15-05-2019, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:
Garage

I have had a remap. Still have the DPF though, it sits on the garage floor with the rest of the original exhaust.
For me it was a remap and replacement of the exhaust with a stainless 3 inch system. All sensors etc are gone. Even the DPF symbol on the dash no longer illuminates when I turn the key on start-up. No point saying where it was done because you haven't said where you are located. You also don't need to replace the entire exhaust as you could just gut the DPF as others have done but I didn't want to leave any tell-tale signs and there will be no escaping a dirty exhaust.

Cheers Joe

2011 Polar white 2.5lt ST auto

Old 15-05-2019, 01:20 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I've had experience with this myself, it was caused by another issue but the end result was the same.

As part of the solution (as an attempt at a quick remedy which was not successful) we had the DPF hollowed out (just put it on a bench and smash at the guts of it with a variety of tools). We tried connecting the fore-and-aft sensor pipe at the sensor (near the ABS unit on the side wall of the engine bay back near the hinge). Resetting the DPF with a workshop tool cost me $50 and lasted about 200km.

In the end, the solution was rather easy (and probably helped by hollowing out the DPF, which looks like it's still intact from the outside).

Send a PM to one of our members here - auggie - and ask them for replacement DPF sensors. Replacing the sensors is easy, just put the same coloured plug sensor in the place where you took it from on the DPF and away you go. The DPF light will clear itself, no need to see a workshop. Just go for a drive.

Matt's worth talking to and his service is impeccable.
Thanks Old.Tony, I did see a post somewhere about auggie, I will PM him. Did you have any issues with excess smoke afterwards and did you notice better performance & fuel economy with this fix?

Old 15-05-2019, 01:34 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2006 View Post
I have had a remap. Still have the DPF though, it sits on the garage floor with the rest of the original exhaust.
For me it was a remap and replacement of the exhaust with a stainless 3 inch system. All sensors etc are gone. Even the DPF symbol on the dash no longer illuminates when I turn the key on start-up. No point saying where it was done because you haven't said where you are located. You also don't need to replace the entire exhaust as you could just gut the DPF as others have done but I didn't want to leave any tell-tale signs and there will be no escaping a dirty exhaust.

Thanks Joe2006,

I'm in the SE suburbs of Melbourne, I am trying to justify the expense of a remap compared to just the delete pipe and remapped sensors, I have a reasonably local performance shop that can do the remap and tune etc that I know will do a great job... but is it worth it?
Did you notice a considerable difference in performance etc after the remap? I have been told I would see an improvement in fuel economy and more power at takeoff etc, basically better all round!
You mention the dirty exhaust... do you mean you blow a lot of smoke? I have seen videos on line about excessive smoke at take off etc.
Cheers

Old 15-05-2019, 01:42 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechmate View Post
Advance headers at holden hill in adelaide are absolute gems when it comes to d40 DPFs
I think they're the SA agent for matt augusts reprogrammed sensors
I got a dpf delete pipe, dump pipe amd reprogrammed sensors for my 07 STX auto from advance, and everything went in perfect with no issues for over 15,000 ks now

I advise give them a call

Blocking the EGR is a separate issue but yes thats a good idea too. Cheap and easy to do
Thanks Czechmate i'll check them out cheers

Old 15-05-2019, 09:42 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis75 View Post
Thanks Old.Tony, I did see a post somewhere about auggie, I will PM him. Did you have any issues with excess smoke afterwards and did you notice better performance & fuel economy with this fix?

Once Matt's (auggie) sensors were in, the DPF light went out shortly afterwards and there has been no smoke since. And we've done several towing trips up and down mountains without a wisp of trouble. There's a small amount of sooty black smoke if I go hard on takeoff until the turbo catches up with the increased fuel load of acceleration, but otherwise it's perfect.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 16-05-2019, 03:02 AM

With matts sensors in and the dump pipe and dpf replaced i have had no noticeable smoke at all

Thats with the stock ecu tuning and no chip

Personally i dont really think the d40 asks for any more power they go hard as hell for a 2.5 litre in a big vehicle

Old 16-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

My Mood:
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis75 View Post
Thanks Joe2006,

I'm in the SE suburbs of Melbourne, I am trying to justify the expense of a remap compared to just the delete pipe and remapped sensors, I have a reasonably local performance shop that can do the remap and tune etc that I know will do a great job... but is it worth it?
Did you notice a considerable difference in performance etc after the remap? I have been told I would see an improvement in fuel economy and more power at takeoff etc, basically better all round!
You mention the dirty exhaust... do you mean you blow a lot of smoke? I have seen videos on line about excessive smoke at take off etc.
Cheers
Coincidentally my remap was done in the SE suburbs of Melbourne as well. In case it is the same place, my experience:

I was told having both the exhaust and remap, if I got there by 8.30am, they should be able to get it all done in the same day. I got there even earlier and was first in the carpark. Told a number of times that they would do a before and after dyno run . I live over 150ks away and had nowhere to go, so waited a bit down the road, within eyeshot of my car. All day I saw vehicles come and go, getting tunes/remaps with multiple runs on the dyno. Late afternoon they finally move my car into one of the workshops, a workshop without a dyno and see them removing the exhaust. I march into the office asking about the "before" dyno run. He goes to see the mechanic to find out what's going on. Comes back and completely ignores me. Call him over and he has no excuse and offers no apology. It's getting really late and just before closing, the exhaust is on and it goes on the dyno. Three runs, the first from a stone cold motor, and they are finished. Go into the office and get a lovely laminated sheet of my before and after horsepower figures. WTF! Where did the before figure come from? All he can do is smile when I point that out.

Had I dropped the car off in the morning and came back at closing time, I would have been impressed. Admittedly they did a very good job with the exhaust and the fitted cost was less than I could purchase the same system and fit myself.

In relation to the remap, despite being told it would be a custom tune, I suspect it is a standard recipe, bought from another company has done the R & D. There was no time for anything custom on mine.

So to answer your questions. I had a chip on the car for a long while and removed it just before the exhaust/remap. Seat of the pants, the exhaust/remap provides a bit more omph than stock but the chip provided the most, holding top gear for longer on the same hills. The exhaust/remap however is between one to two litres per 100ks more economical than the chip (when not towing). It is hard to say whether the exhaust/remap is more economical than stock. I suspect it is a little more economical because I am not using more fuel than when it was stock, despite driving a bit more aggressively.

I would not get a remap for any miniscule savings in fuel. You should get a bit more power and be rid of the DPF and if it is like mine, it will turn off the EGR.

Dirty exhaust? It doesn't matter if you gut or remove the DPF, stock or remap, the inside of your exhaust will be black. Smoke? I can roll coal from a standing start under load, like reversing up a gutter, but nothing noticable under general conditions.

When I was looking there was also a company in Melbourne who would do a generic power and delete remap on a D40 with no dyno. It was a fair bit cheaper and I would have considered that if I knew my dyno was going to be a waste of time.

EDIT: I have just checked my economy figures over several years and there was little difference between stock vs chip, therefore there have been some savings in fuel, although I can't say whether that is due to the remap, exhaust or both. Perhaps you would get the same savings with just sensors and gutted DPF?

PM me if you want to know who did my remap.

Cheers Joe

2011 Polar white 2.5lt ST auto

Last edited by joe2006; 16-05-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Additional information.