Go Back   The Navara Forum > Tech Talk > General Tech Talk

Old 31-03-2018, 03:06 AM

Garage

i didn't change any hose below what i showed in my picture, so can't help on that one!
Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

One of the hoses below (and I suspect the one in question here) should go to the vac pump. On the YD25 motor, this is driven by the primary timing chain and sits directly below the fuel pump on the right hand side of the vehicle. You will find easier access to it from below, after removing the "bash" plates.

This is where I'd be starting, given the description of the problem so far. The lack of vacuum at the top of the motor there is a giveaway. Vac to the turbo is controlled by the boost control solenoid (BCS) located on the hard pipe intercooler connector which sits roughly just below and forward of the alternator. If the BCS was at fault you'd have vacuum at the pipe pictured but no control of the turbo, and moving the vac pipe that comes across the motor from the BCS to the actuator will result in the turbo providing boost again.

If you DO try that last switcheroo though, be aware that it can overpressurise the intercooler and intake piping, so drive gently. I've had my intake hose pop off the back of the EGR when my Tillix valve (I replaced my BCS) lost its connection to the charge air pipe and the turbo decided to go well past the 24psi that my ECU could read.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

No vacuum
Old 03-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Default No vacuum

Thanks @old.tony and @ericcs.

I found a rubber tube below the metal pipe that feeds the vacuum tubing to the BCS. I had a good feel of it with the engine idling and couldnít feel any leaks. However the pipe felt like the rubber wasnít in the best condition.

I didnít replace the tubing, but went for a drive afterwards and I had boost! It lasted for about 10 minutes and then the car was back to black smoke and no boost. My theory is that the inside of that tube is disintegrating, and that my playing dislodged a blockage.

I will now replace the tube and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

Btw, I had to get to the tube from the top and my arm was really nicely wedged in amongst all the stuff in the engine bay. Not very pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2018, 11:52 PM

So I managed to get the hose off and put a new hose on the vacuum source. Started the car and had suction on the new hose. Then plugged it into the BCS and the turbo actuator started moving.

I was not able to put the new hose on the bottom of the metal pipe so ran it straight to the BCS.

Iíve just run a can of intake cleaner through the intake and about to go for a test drive. Hopefully Iíll have boost, brakes and much less black smoke. Will keep you posted.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:44 AM

So just did a quick trip to Sydney and back. Car is pulling great and no or very little smoke once all the junk blew out of the exhaust after the cleaning spray.

I havenít messed up the brakes with my new route for the vacuum tubing either so Iím still alive ;-)

Now I need to change the clutch - itís slipping (again) now the power is back to normal.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:31 PM

My Mood:
Garage

Good news. Such pissy little things can be hard to diagnose

Old 07-06-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncoke View Post
So just did a quick trip to Sydney and back. Car is pulling great and no or very little smoke once all the junk blew out of the exhaust after the cleaning spray.

I havenít messed up the brakes with my new route for the vacuum tubing either so Iím still alive ;-)

Now I need to change the clutch - itís slipping (again) now the power is back to normal.

A quick update - got a new clutch fitted a couple of weeks ago. Went for SMF Exeedy and Iím very happy with it so far. I got every last bit of use from the original clutch - on way to the mechanics I couldnít accelerate with more than about 10% throttle without it slipping. Iím not proud about it, just couldnít afford to fix it before I did.