Go Back   The Navara Forum > General Discussions > Main Forum

Navara D40 2009 - No power at higher speeds
Old 28-05-2019, 09:38 AM

My Mood:
Default Navara D40 2009 - No power at higher speeds

No power especially in 5th/6th gear.

I have a 2009 Navara D40, 4x4 4dr, 2.5 diesel turbo.

The other day I gunned it up a hill and the realised I had a loss of power. On the flat at about 100 kph if I put the throttle on, all I got was black smoke.
on returning to lower speeds in 3rd and 4th gear the vehicle appeared to be pulling fine again.
I am mostly driving in 3rd and 4th gear at present as I'm living on an island with very few open roads.....so the opportunity to drive over 80 kph is quite rare at present.

Any advice on what the problem might be?
Sponsored Links

Old 28-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Hey mate, I'd be having a look at the neutral position switch. These are a common problem to fail causing loss of power especially in higher gears.

Old 28-05-2019, 12:10 PM

My Mood:

Can you explain a bit more?
I have had work done on the gearbox

Old 28-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Not really as I haven't got a d40, but if you have a look through the d40 section there has been threads mentioning it. Maybe even try a search for NPS or neutral switch and you should have some luck.

Old 28-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Not really the same issue as yours, but may help locating the switch. http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=30822

Old 28-05-2019, 12:34 PM

My Mood:

my vehicle is a 6 speed manual

Old 28-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Apparently the original poster in that thread does too. According to it, there are 2 switches on the side of the gearbox and the upper one is the neutral position switch.

Apparently on the right side of the gearbox.

Old 28-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

The other possibility is the turbocharger. There could be a couple of things wrong.

* BCS not working properly. These are prone to failure. I've had three fail, I'm now using a Tilix valve (it's like a Dawes valve). Watch the arm under the actuator on the turbocharger while the car is being revved in neutral by a helper. The arm should move. If it doesn't you may have a failed BCS, a failed actuator, or a vacuum leak.

* Replace the vac hoses - you'll need 3metres of 3mm inner diameter fuel-safe rubber hose. While you're replacing the one that goes to the turbocharger, connect it first to the actuator then suck on the other end. The actuator arm should move. If it doesn't, the actuator has failed or is jammed. If the actuator responds, try the car again, if it still doesn't work properly, the BCS may have failed.

* Failing turbocharger. If you've got something giving you boost pressure figures, watch them, your boost should peak up around 20psi. When my BCS failed, my boost pressure peaked around 6psi. If you're not even seeing that, pull the hose off the front of the turbocharger and spin the impeller. It should not wobble/wiggle, it should move smoothly without feeling rough. It should resist a little, and stop fairly quickly if you can spin it. If there's a wobble in the shaft, the turbocharger may be stalling instead of spooling properly. If you are replacing the turbocharger, make sure you get a replacement gasket kit with the turbocharger.

* Check and clean the MAFS. Don't put anything in the hole in the end, use an electrical contact spray. This is in the back of the air pipe just out from the air filter.

There are other possibilities. Dirty/damaged SCV on the fuel pump. Dirty air filter. Leaking manifold causing boost pressure to be lost (look for signs of black oil smeared around the leak).

Have a look at those and get back to us.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 28-05-2019, 04:07 PM

My Mood:

Thanks - this is going to take a while - the next time I can get a guy to check it is next Tuesday.....

BTW - what does BCS stand for and what does MAFS stand for?

Old 28-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

BSC is the Boost Control Solenoid. It's a small black device sitting on the back of the solid pipe that connects to the intercooler at the front of the car. It will have a couple of wires and 3 vacuum lines attached to it, one of these will go straight up to the turbocharger actuator. If you can't fine it, go to the turbocharger and follow the vac line back to it. The BCS is not repairable.

MAFS is the Mass Air Flow Sensor. It's about the size of a credit card, it measures temperature and flow rate of the incoming air so the ECU can adjust the fuel flow properly, among other things (like turbocharger control, because that's directly air-flow related).

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Tags
5th gear, 6th gear, black smoke, low power