High lift know how

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy john

Reaction score
I am starting to look at a viable place for my jack for instant use if needed. As I cover many km's for work I note the following. A large amount of various makes with the jack on the roof, but I look at where they could possibly jack from.

Most had no bullbar and no rear bar alloy side steps and probably a dickhead driver.

So I have used a jack for self recovery 20 years ago, having a alloy bar I used the recovery points and front with a small equaliser strap up to chock the wheels and get out, the rig today has the sliders with the jack points that I use and are great.

So why do so many drive around with the jack yet no points to use?, for use as a hand winch is great but most would not know what to do. I am a qualified crane operator with dogman tickets, I cannot stress the high lift is very dangerous if not used correctly.

That's the reason why I don't have a high lift jack myself. I do not feel qualified to use one, so there's no point owning one. Might get myself an exhaust jack one day, if I can't get my engine to inflate it I'm sure I could eat a few burritos and do the job myself.

It's funny that many people have or buy high-lifts and have no place for them. You can add a short strap with a hook that grabs onto your wheel (through the rim) and lifts the car - although useless for changing that tyre, it does allow for the placement of rocks under that wheel to assist removal of the vehicle from a bog.

I would imagine that my bullbar is inadequate to use a high lift anyway - no slots for it. I have a standard rear bumper - I'd prefer to replace that with a dual tyre carrier bar from ARB before I bother learning the correct way to use a high lift.

The thing is, they advise not to use them for changing wheels. Mainly due to the instability of them and the very nigh possibility of the vehicle falling off the jack.

I will admit, I have one. I have an xrox front bar with jack points and one of those wheel hooks that works quite well with the standard d22 alloy wheels. The main reason I have that is due to how easy it is to get hung up on the chassis in these compared to solid axle 4wds with huge tyres that rut tracks out...

I've used mine mostly around the house. Raising the front section when it had sunk into the ground a bit. Lifting the car to put axle stands underneath. Pulling my retaining wall upright after removing backfill. Handy bloody thing to have around. Although I have the jack points on the bar and towbar and sliders I've thankfully not had to use it for that. But it is in the car just incase.

Pretty handy.
You just need to think about what ur doing with them.

While we're on this topic I have a standard nissan steel bar on my D22. Are those two slots either side and just below the license plate where you stick a high lift jack to lift the front? Or do you use the long slot above the license plate?

Noob question but this is my first 4wd.

Latest posts

Back