D22 2.5D Noise when under load

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oz4wd

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've noticed that when the truck is under load when accelerating it makes a loud rattle almost growling noise sounds like it comes from the left side of the engine. I notice it more uphill from a dead stop & especially when the aircon is on sucking away precious power.

I have a Nissan snorkel fitted. This is my first diesel. I'm inclined to think it's noise from the snorkel as it sounds kind of throaty, & I can even hear it with the window up. Under normal conditions it doesn't do it unless I put the foot down hard.

Is this normal? & is the sound from the snorkel expected to be that load under load?

FYI, this is a new truck. I only have 1200km on it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

NB: I checked existing threads first however none seemed to match my question exactly

My guess is its your snorkel intake growl. It's fine and normal for the 2.5l motors. Mine growls even.louder with the chipit module installed. If the snorkel is fitted from factory Nissan I would check it and make sure its sealed.

I have a loud rattly noise coming from the rear of my car underload. Meaning high gear and trying to accelerate out of a slow corner. Like a loud shuddering sound but its driving me nuts. Thought it was exhaust but have fixed it all up.

Rusty

Rusty, thank you. Not ever having a diesel before it worried me. Before this I had a GU Patrol Petrol 4.5L with Safari Snorkel which never made a sound. Thanks.

Rusty I had the Mrs is the passenger seat & she said its not coming from the snorkel, she swears it comes from the left side under her feet somewhere. Any ideas? It's like a rattle more than anything

Exhaust passes under the left passenger seat and pretty sure the fuel pump is on the left hand side. The fuel pump makes a bit of noise!

Cheers Brad

hi there, my car is the same on take off and around 80 ks, a mate had same and it was no oil feed pipe on timing chain. mine is going bad in on monday to be checked.

hi there, my car is the same on take off and around 80 ks, a mate had same and it was no oil feed pipe on timing chain. mine is going bad in on monday to be checked.

OMG...How do they miss something like that? I hope it's only something simple on mine. (& yours)

Exhaust passes under the left passenger seat and pretty sure the fuel pump is on the left hand side. The fuel pump makes a bit of noise!

Cheers Brad

Quite possiibly exhaust rattle as it's really only on take off at low revs. Letting car cool down & will have a look. Thanks for the heads up.

Hmmmm that's interesting. Cause as I mentioned before about the rattle I have, is that my brother swears its coming from the front left under his foot aswell. Only rattle underload and on take off on a hill. Will have to contact my trusty mechanic on Monday

Mine is exactly the same. At first I thought I was in too low a gear on the uphill. I had a look, its not exhaust, although can see why exhaust would make a noise as its so close to the floor.
Looks like I'm off to Nissan on Monday.

mine makes a bit of a vibration if im in like 4th gear pulling away at ~40km/h like when the revs are at 1000 or so, I wouldn't do it if I didn't have the egr blocked but the blocked egr means it pulls better from those sort of revs.

not sure if this is what you are describing though?

Its really only when I'm taking off. Around the 1000rpm mark. What do you have blocked?

I had a good look at the truck today & pretty sure I've found the issue. When I tap the heatshield it makes a rattle noise. I put spacers where the bolts go to push the heatshield further away from the exhaust pipe & its better. I've attached a pic of what I mean.
Also while investigating I found the snorkel (part inside guard) was rattling against the car. Put some rubber there. Lucky I had a look, the idiots at the dealership who fit it left off 2 of the screws holding the underguard.
Why doesn't anyone take pride in their work any more?

Attachments

• hshield.JPG
    hshield.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 224
Its really only when I'm taking off. Around the 1000rpm mark. What do you have blocked?

the egr block gives you a little more power down low, pulls much better from idle (well im certain it does) less smoke to.

do your d22 2.5 sufer from premature big end failure and conrods throuygh block due to shite nissan lead free bearings and oil pickup tube design?
tonnes on uk navara forum www.nissan-navara.net

I know there were a heap of issues with the 3.0Lt. I believe the 2.5Lt Common Rail is supposed to be fine. Will find out in time.

Guys, I went to supercheap today & bought an exhaust clamp. I fit it around the heatshield in my pic & tightened up. I no longer get the rattle noise. I get what seems to be exhaust "rumble" sound through the flexi-joint in the exhaust, but no more rattle. My guess is when the exhause rumbled the tinny aluminium heatshield rattled.

I suppose my question is, is it normal to get a rumble sound come from the flexi-joint?

Latest posts

Back