Rear axle seals

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escapee

Reaction score
I was changing the brake pads today and noticed thick black oil inside the drum. Thinking the axle seals had blown I took it to the mechanic who confirmed my suspicions. He said it was strange for a car that has only done 100,000km but when he rang Nissan to order the parts they told him it is quite common in the Navara. Didn't think to ask him if it was specific to the D40 or all. Apparently Nissan said it doesn't happen to all but they have done quite a few. A point to note though, if it happens, Nissan will replace the entire real axle for $1600. My Mechanic got a bearing and seal kit and to install it (plus machine the drums) is $660.

So my message to everyone, next time you take your back wheel off, take the drum off too and check for any oil inside the drum. And if there is some, go somewhere other than Nissan and save $1000.

Shit mate, thats steep.

Ill be keeping my D22 as C200 parts are cheap as chips and so are the H233B parts.

There was a recall for this,mine has been done a couple of years ago.
They should replace the whole lot for free.

Any chance you can get part numbers etc and even a how to from the mechanic?

No part numbers on today's receipt. I'll have a look on Thursday when I pick it up on the updated receipt.

I had a look in the manual. There is an in-depth description in there on how to remove the bits and pieces.

Attachments

• Axle shaft exploded view.jpg
    Axle shaft exploded view.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 5,869
  • Axle Shaft removal.jpg
    Axle Shaft removal.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,127
  • Axle Shaft removal pg2.jpg
    Axle Shaft removal pg2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 931
  • Axle Shaft removal pg3.jpg
    Axle Shaft removal pg3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,009
  • sensor removal.jpg
    sensor removal.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 760
Recalls are not dependent on warranty, even cars out of warranty are required to be fixed if a recall is issued, however it's up to the owner whether they get the recall done, done by the manufacturer, done by a mechanic or done at all. Any recalls should have required Nissan to send out a recall letter to the original owner. If you missed the recall you may have a chance getting an old recall done today but I'm not sure of anything that states they have to do it after a set time. Whether you actually got the letter (or the original owner if you brought second hand) is not something for them to prove, however if a recall was done there should be a stamp or sticker in the book, no stamp or sticker and chances are the recall wasn't done.

Hey Guys,

Sorry to bring up something so old however I've just got word that my 2006 ST-X is having this exact drama "axle seals had blown". Were these under recall? And if so, how would I go about getting this rectified by Nissan? I bought the ute second hand however the recall for the standard wheels transferred to me but this one hasn't? Was there a recall in this particular model, how do I find out?

Cheers!

Edit: Nup, my ute missed the recall, so now i got to pay for the work to be done. Quite painful really, you'd think since they recalled and replaced so many other navara's then what's 1 more which is needing to be done.

Where's the angry emoticon head??

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Sorry to bring up something so old however I've just got word that my 2006 ST-X is having this exact drama "axle seals had blown". Were these under recall? And if so, how would I go about getting this rectified by Nissan? I bought the ute second hand however the recall for the standard wheels transferred to me but this one hasn't? Was there a recall in this particular model, how do I find out?

Cheers!

Edit: Nup, my ute missed the recall, so now i got to pay for the work to be done. Quite painful really, you'd think since they recalled and replaced so many other navara's then what's 1 more which is needing to be done.

Where's the angry emoticon head??

Mine failed recently and were replaced under the extended factory warranty. But I'm thinking that there is still a small amount of oil seeping past the seals and will be highlighting the issue again.

Mine failed recently and were replaced under the extended factory warranty. But I'm thinking that there is still a small amount of oil seeping past the seals and will be highlighting the issue again.

Well the seal replacement didn't hold up for too long.....both real axle seal are again leaking. Worse on the passenger side with oil actually forming a drip but it is seeping quite badly on the driver's side too. Off to Mr Nissan for another go under warranty (hopefully!!) on 3 Feb. Will post again when the work is done.

Picked up the ute this afternoon after the 2nd warranty "fix" of leaking rear axle oil seals. Here's hoping this time they last a bit longer than 10 months before leaking.

hey Pete
So are they replacing the axles or just the seals?

Parts replaced this time around Paul are:

NI143232-EB70A Inner oil seal
NI43098-EB30A Cage - Rear axle

I recall after the last job they simply replaced the oil seals and by the time I got back home (approx 100km) I could see a seep starting inboard of the wheel. I brought it to their attention again about a week later when I was back up in Nowra but they said it wasn't too bad and to let is go for a while. A couple of weeks ago the passenger side started to form drips around the inside of the wheels and I just took the car up and left it with them. Took them a couple of days to get the parts and about 4 hours to do the job......seems to be OK at the moment so here's hoping.

I saw these old posts. It is a similar issue I am currently having.
I have a 2013 spanish build, dual cab, 2.5 litre, 4x4, auto trans D40 and about 6 months ago the Left side rear axle seal failed. I eventually caused the brake pads to swell and the vehicle was undriveable. I took it to the Nissan Dealer who carried out the repair. 2 days after the repair I took it back with the same problem. They again did the repair and held my D40 for a few days while their service man drove it to home and back so he could check for faults. The service manager told me when they fit the new axle seal they had accidently damaged it and caused this 2nd leak. 6 months later and about 7,000 klm I took my D40 in for a service and received a call from the dealership that I had to replace my rear brakes because they were contaminated by a leak in the left rear axle seal. (another one)

Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Last edited:
I had the exact same issue on my previous D22 (2010 model). Fixed under warranty. They had to replace the entire hub on the D22, so I'm glad it was a warranty job!

I saw these old posts. It is a similar issue I am currently having.
I have a 2013 spanish build, dual cab,
CUT>>>>>
Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

No Mate I'm having same issue, 2009 Spanish built D40 at 157430km l/h side seal/bearing replaced, 168540km both sides seals/bearing replaced, now 188850km both sides leaking contaminated rear brakes... so now having discussions with Nissan.

How did you get on Starsky? your problem fixed??

Latest posts

Back