33" tyres - what breaks?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sikuis

Reaction score
At the moment I'm running 265/75R16 tyres (32's) on the stock alloys. I'm thinking of replacing them with 285/75R16's (33's) on 16×8 steel rims wth a +20mm offset. Those of you who have used 33's before, do steering and suspension components fail more regularly than when you were running a standard setup?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Any bigger tyre and or rim combinations will make everything wear out quicker, especially bearings, steering components.
It doesn't matter what make of car.

Yes, I understand that. I want to avoid sudden catastrophic failures that could leave me stranded. I am also wondering if there are some components that I could end up replacing twice as often, for example.

I've had 285's on my previous 3 cars, nothing has ever failed suddenly or worn any quicker. The main issue is the weight of the steel rim and bigger tyre. The tie rod ajuster is the first to cop it if you whack anything hard.

I'd suggest looking at alloy rims, turning the bigger tyre on a heavy steel rim sucks your power and roots your economy. Even with your lift you'll still need to play around with the guards/ mudflaps.

I'm just sticking with the 32's, I can go anywhere on them just as well without worrying about breaking anything and to be honest looks don't concern me anymore.

Cheers

Thanks for that. I know I will have to trim the guards and mudflaps, and that I will take a hit to fuel economy. My main concern is with the steering components and how they hold up. It seems that with some mechanical sympathy, they should be okay.

Latest posts

Back