Steering, Tie rods etc.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xany

Reaction score
Gday!

I'm new here, however have been apart of a few forums to know to do some research first (i have but to not much avail). So i'm gunna put my problem to you guys and see what solutions you may have for me and others with the same issues.

I currently own a 1991 Nissan Terrano WD21 with a TD27T (great little power pack). I have only owned it for around 5 months, however before that i had a WD21 Z24 pathfinder...(slow as a wet week). My problem is that i have installed aftermarket upper suspension arms to correct the ball joints after lifting the front of it.

After lifting the front i didnt have time to take it out 4wding for a while until just before christmas (actually christmas eve). On the trip i bent a tie-rod end on the passenger side and the idler arm.

I will be getting an idler arm brace probably next week from somewhere. However i have searched a few forums and still havent come up with any decent aftermarket heavy duty tie rod end replacements (other than someone mentioning MOOG replacements).....and i have no idea where i can buy MOOG tie rod ends from??

So my question is....have any of you guys found heavy duty replacements for the D21 tie rods?

Edit: Currently i have replaced all 4 tie rod ends with new ones...along with the drag link and idler arm.

Pic of the banana.... lol

Attachments

• 325643_10150447715976903_710566902_8954238_100399750_o.jpg
    325643_10150447715976903_710566902_8954238_100399750_o.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
To be honest i wasnt really doing anything stupid or that really required 4wd at the time....i'm just afraid of going out next time and doing exactly the same thing.

Hence me trying to find some heavier alternatives.....i suppose it may have been an issue with the tie rod that bent...maybe it was just a faulty one... :/

Try these places

CALMINI - They do replacement tie rod ends, idler arm brackets, and complete heavy duty steering replacement kits.

http://www.purenissan.com/hardbody.htm

Or for just you idler arm brace it's $85 from 4WD1
http://www.4wd1.com/Navara-D21.htm#idler

i have no experience with these places so i can't tell you about freighting etc, but if you grab any of it please post up and let me know because i'll be looking into all this gear for myself.

You have the aftermarket upper suspension arms i see, if they are blue, they are possibly Calmini ones already, as they are sold through 4WD1, SuperiorEngineering and Snake racing etc i think all just rebranded Calmini ones coz america is cheap.

God bless America, home of the vain, land of the freaks :)

the idler arm brace itself is pretty easy thing to do it yourself don't find a reason to buy it, lots of folks doing it
I found that there different bushing types at idler arm,
P1080725.JPG

the upper ones ar the one that I get in my 555 idler arm and they are some sort of rubber - they are elastic, but the original nissan idler arm has polyamide like bushings and rubber sealing as a two separate parts.
on the bottom there are bushings I've made from black polyamide with MDS.
both new bushings an brace made a difference in steering, I really feel that it's more firm / stiff
P1080745.JPG

I've also added the grease nipple to keep thing even better greased
P1080731.JPG

We'll see how long it lasts.
I recommend doing that mod, but now the arm itself it's the weakest point so I may find it bended someday

Latest posts

Back