EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tweak was spot on the money. I have to go edit my post already too, because I wrote "DO NOT SHUT THE ENGINE DOWN" and it should read "DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION OFF".

But - what happened with the EGR valve unplugged? Eyes rolled. Yes sir, they did.

Wife: "What's that yellow light on your dash?"

Me: "That's the Check Engine Light, it means the computer thinks something is wrong with the engine."

Wife: "You broke it, didn't you!?!?!"

Me: "No, I just made the computer think something was wrong with the engine."

Wife: "I bet you won't be able to fix it."

Me: "I think if I reset the ECU it'll be ok. If not, I'll take it back to Nissan and say hey, this light came on..."

Wife: "You broke the car!!!!"

Me: *rolls eyes*

After we got home, I went through the ECU reset procedure. I'm about to tell the wife that the ECU reset fixed it ... now wait for the response....

Wife: "You won't be doing that again, will you?"

Me: *thinks: you bloody bet I will!* ... "Not for a while."

So there you have it guys, you can't just unplug it. Rats.

Howdy I have blocked the EGR today same side as 4.8GU said. used a thin sheet of ally, a little thicker than the gasket, fitted a treat. No problems at start up and no problems after driving 10kms so far.

TC

Last edited:
The bolts on mine were that tight i got one off but the other one i ruined the shape of the nut and cant get it off... blocking the other side (passengers) seems just a bit too hard to get too.

I have a boost gauge on mine and there is no over boost problem. Only quirk ya get is when you back off the throttle boost will drop to zero then creep up to 5 psi or so.

This is just the engine management trying to keep boost up to keep egr flowing. I am not even sure if it still does this with egr open or not.

I am flat out seeing 19 psi on mine most of the time.

As I have mentioned I really can not comment on any extra power as I have never noticed it. I only did this mod as I see far too many trucks come in with major manifold blocking problems due to the crud from egr going into the motor.
I will use the cooler for a hot water shower one day too!

I un-plugged the electric solenoid thingo that sits on top of the EGR and no check light came on after 5 mins or so of driving? I know Old Tony tried it but will it cause the valve to be permanently closed? And or will the check light come on when the engine warms up?

I ruined the bolts the other day on the drivers side the socket turned on it coz it was that tight.

ya gotta shock them, put the correct size spanner on and hit it with a hammer.
works every time.

I un-plugged the electric solenoid thingo that sits on top of the EGR and no check light came on after 5 mins or so of driving? I know Old Tony tried it but will it cause the valve to be permanently closed? And or will the check light come on when the engine warms up?

My CEL light didn't come on until after I'd shut the car down. When I started it again, the light was on and so was the voice from the passenger seat. :suicide: The light remained on through complete shutdown/start cycles despite the reconnection of the valve, so once the ECU has it in its memory it doesn't let go of it and neither does the voice from the left.

The ECU reset procedure saved the day. :big_smile:

My CEL light didn't come on until after I'd shut the car down. When I started it again, the light was on and so was the voice from the passenger seat. :suicide: The light remained on through complete shutdown/start cycles despite the reconnection of the valve, so once the ECU has it in its memory it doesn't let go of it and neither does the voice from the left.

The ECU reset procedure saved the day. :big_smile:

LOL thats funny mate.

Blocked off the egr today - a blank gasket on exh thru cooler flange.
If you take off the bracket it makes it easier to get at the back 17mm nut, then replace the bracket after the bolt is tightened up.

Noticed a big improvement in low revs torque - it takes off straight away - what I thought was bad turbo lag has gone!!
I'm heading off to Darwin on Tuesday pulling a 1000kg van so its gonna help.
should improve l/100kms - it certaily improves the round town driving.

Last edited:
Hey guys, whats the difference between doing it befor or after the cooler? is there any?

smokey D40

i will be trying this mod asap, mine blows heaps of smoke when cruising at low revs or when you plant your foot but none at high revs flat out on the highway. Nissan have reset the fuel pump which did nothing and if they dont get any codes they dont have a clue.
thanks for the idea, gotta be the egr for sure

i will be trying this mod asap, mine blows heaps of smoke when cruising at low revs or when you plant your foot but none at high revs flat out on the highway. Nissan have reset the fuel pump which did nothing and if they dont get any codes they dont have a clue.

just blanked mine off and no more smoke maybe you will have the same luck

I blanked mine off a week ago, no seat of the pants difference for me, but I guess the engine will be cleaner the exhaust dirtier now.

i will be trying this mod asap, mine blows heaps of smoke when cruising at low revs o when you plant your foot but none at high revs flat out on the highway. Nissan have reset the fuel pump which did nothing and if they dont get any codes they dont have a clue.

I have this same issue. I did have a fault with the injector pump though. Nissan just did a reset which didn't fix the smoke issue.
They have now found a faulty boost solenoid whatever thar is.
I'm having it replaced this Wednesday so I'll keep you informed if that fixes the issue.

Latest posts

Back