Go Back   The Navara Forum > General Discussions > Camping Gear

Family tents for bad weather?
Old 02-04-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Family tents for bad weather?

As the title suggests, what is the best waterproof tent on the market for bad weather?
I have tried cheap tents, expensive tents and somewhere in between and still am looking for the best tent to purchase for protection against rain. If money was not an issue and you were to buy a decent waterproof tent what would you get?
Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prada View Post
As the title suggests, what is the best waterproof tent on the market for bad weather?
I have tried cheap tents, expensive tents and somewhere in between and still am looking for the best tent to purchase for protection against rain. If money was not an issue and you were to buy a decent waterproof tent what would you get?
I have a decent-looking Coleman Time Master Tent, which I use family tents for bad weather.
On its watertight floor it is certainly to be kept dry and comfortable on the next trip.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

Caravan :)

Old 03-04-2018, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe a kodiak flex bow.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:26 AM

Best thing I did was buy a tarp that fits over top of tent - plus lots of framing and poles etc.

This setup keeps water out, keeps the tent cooler in summer and reduces UV damage to the tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-04-2018, 06:24 AM

My Mood:

The best tent for me in bad weather has always been a motel room!!!

Old 04-04-2018, 09:47 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

While I agree on the motel room / caravan notion, the tarp-over-tent is probably the best first step if you need to tent it somewhere, but remember to have a ground sheet to keep the tent off the mud, and dig a channel to divert flowing water away from the tent.

The tarp idea can be made easier in either of two ways. You can put a gazebo over the tent before putting up the tarp (heavy, takes up a lot of space) or you can get those extendable support rods (like these from BCF) and make a frame that goes over the tent (higher in the centre, lower at the sides to prevent pooling of water on the tarp). This would be the best choice for compactness.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 05-04-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouttogobush View Post
The best tent for me in bad weather has always been a motel room!!!
+1 Me too!

Old 06-07-2018, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

I'd need more info on situation and famiy to give a specific recommendation. What will work in one situation, might not work in another and "families" have different and evolving needs.

Probably the lightest and biggest is the largest tarp( plus poles, ropes and pegs) you can carry. Family implies kids who will quickly become restless and need room to move around. I'd recommend something like a "superdux"(poly cotton mix) tarp if you can buy one as with care they'll last a life time. Also using a ridge rope, they are easy to support between trees and do not require a forest of support poles like the large poly tarps.

Tarps also give air flow and keep conditions as is. On the other hand they are really bad/useless in very cold, windy raining weather as it just blows in. For that sort of condition you'd start with the old style canvas, minimum 12x12. Trade off is the size and weight of gear you need to carry.

if you are going to buy some cheap "family tent", I'd suggest not. Works fine in events where a tarp will suffice, but is bad and very risk in windy conditions.

I'd instead through in the suggestion that you do not get one tent, but a number of smaller ones so a failure in one doesn't put you all in the "shit". Also has the advantage that a couple of "kids" tents could be arrected quickly and put in the lee(shelter) of the vehicle then you set up a more robust adults tent.
I'd need more info on situation and famiy to give a specific recommendation. What will work in one situation, might not work in another and "families" have different and evolving needs.

Probably the lightest and biggest is the largest tarp( plus poles, ropes and pegs) you can carry. Family implies kids who will quickly become restless and need room to move around. I'd recommend something like a "superdux"(poly cotton mix) tarp if you can buy one as with care they'll last a life time. Also using a ridge rope, they are easy to support between trees and do not require a forest of support poles like the large poly tarps.

Tarps also give air flow and keep conditions as is. On the other hand they are really bad/useless in very cold, windy raining weather as it just blows in. For that sort of condition you'd start with the old style canvas, minimum 12x12. Trade off is the size and weight of gear you need to carry.

if you are going to buy some cheap "family tent", I'd suggest not. Works fine in events where a tarp will suffice, but is bad and very risk in windy conditions.

I'd instead through in the suggestion that you do not get one tent, but a number of smaller ones so a failure in one doesn't put you all in the "shit". Also has the advantage that a couple of "kids" tents could be arrected quickly and put in the lee(shelter) of the vehicle then you set up a more robust adults tent.

Last 2c; have you considered a camper trailer? Look in the 2nd hand market. Stay away from the OS stuff. A lot of people buy them and only use them a few times, then try to sell what they paid for them. Forget that. Negotiate hard.

You can also 'build your own CT', aka join CT top to trailer bottom, but it might be cheaper just to buy a basic second hand and learn from that.

Last 2c; have you considered a camper trailer? Look in the 2nd hand market. Stay away from the OS stuff. A lot of people buy them and only use them a few times, then try to sell what they paid for them. Forget that. Negotiate hard.

You can also 'build your own CT', aka join CT top to trailer bottom, but it might be cheaper just to buy a basic second hand and learn from that.

Last 2c; have you considered a camper trailer? Look in the 2nd hand market. Stay away from the OS stuff. A lot of people buy them and only use them a few times, then try to sell what they paid for them. FI'd need more info on situation and famiy to give a specific recommendation. What will work in one situation, might not work in another and "families" have different and evolving needs.

orget that. Negotiate hard.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
While I agree on the motel room / caravan notion, the tarp-over-tent is probably the best first step if you need to tent it somewhere, but remember to have a ground sheet to keep the tent off the mud, and dig a channel to divert flowing water away from the tent.

The tarp idea can be made easier in either of two ways. You can put a gazebo over the tent before putting up the tarp (heavy, takes up a lot of space) or you can get those extendable support rods (like these from BCF) and make a frame that goes over the tent (higher in the centre, lower at the sides to prevent pooling of water on the tarp). This would be the best choice for compactness.
You'd be better off looking at this style
https://www.bcf.com.au/coi-leisure-r...cgid=BCF021535
Needs two pointy end end poles and you make up one or two square end (swap point/C for square U) support poles for the middle, depending on the length.

We have a 30'x24' good quality poly tarp from BCF and that is how we erect it. It is long enough to go from the tow ball socket, completelty over the camper trailer tent and give us double the vestibule area. Surprisingly, we have mostly used it as a double skin in summer to shelter the CT canvas and thus keep it cooler inside the tent.