Good Mechanic for General D40 Repairs close to Brunswick/Northcote area?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Last month, I tried to tow a 7X4 trailer with a big fridge, a sofa and a washing machine. On a slope at the light, I felt quite some slipping at the clutch when I was trying to take off. I even stalled the car trying to take off. I guess it was a sign that I need to look at a clutch service/replacement. As such, I need to have a good and trustworthy mechanic in close vicinity to perform the job.

BTW, when you guys replace the clutch, do you go for the genuine Nissan kit (release bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel), or you have some good experience using some aftermarket kits. If yes, I'd love to hear from you your success stories.

Any recommendations? Also, people to stay away from? Please help advise. Thanks.

Firstly id like to ask how old your Nav is? how long you've had it? How many kilometres on it? Maybe how often you do tow

It is a 2012 4X2 D40, 75000km, I just bought it used some 2 months ago and I don't tow often, anticipating some 3-4 times a year.

Im sorry i didnt get back to this earlier!

Congratulations on the purchase!

So before you go throw your hard earned cash at something that is possibly okay, there's a few things you should know that you may not.

The manual d40 has a dual mass flywheel.. great for quieting down drive noise and softening the feel on the pedal but not great for heat due to excess clutch riding. Makes it drive more like a car and less like a tractor. Ideally if you wanted to do alot of towing an automatic transmission is said to be better.. (only second hand info on the auto) You've got a manual and don't tow heaps so let's forget that.

I don't tow daily but do tow our camper a couple times a month, the driving style completly changes..
I ask, how does it drive unloaded?
Any noises when you foot the clutch pedal- or release?

From take off i give the right pedal a bigger push and ever so slightly ride the clutch to get it moving.. once there's a tiny bit of movement, the clutch is out.. sounds obvious but i used to struggle with the smaller hill starts while loaded.. hand brake helps too
Ive a few times had to grab 4lo to crawl up a bigger hill (straight as possible)

Possible power upgrades will also get it rolling faster with less strain on the workings.. No need with this until you make a decision on the clutch too..

If it drives alright unloaded or not making any super strange noises then id suggest the DMF is the culprit.. adjust those three or four drives a year

IF you have or do get it checked and the clutch setup is on the way out there's been quite a few guys on here that have reported good things ( driveability, minimal extrs noise and good pedal feels) with the exedy heavy duty clutch kit with the SMF..Hoping someone might have something else

I don't have anyone in your area to recommend but hopefully that makes a little sense and helps in some way

Last edited:
Normally, when I am not towing, the clutch works ok. I too think that there should still be quite some service life left with the clutch. Maybe I should practise more on the foot release technique skills at full load on a slope.

Latest posts

Back