Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Electrical

Dual battery setup in 2012 D22
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 PM

Default Dual battery setup in 2012 D22

Hey guys,
Forgive me if this question has been asked before but I tried searching and couldn't find the answer.
In a 2012 d22 is it a smart alternator or not. Basically I want to know when I'm setting up my dual battery system in the tray whether I need to go for a dc-dc charger or if I can get away with only using a isolator.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2019, 08:48 PM

Not a smart alternator, most people that have run a second (or 3rd battery) just use an isolator. Do you have a single or dual battery from factory?

2011 D22 2.5Cr. Fuel cap holder, bonnet scoop protection, Bonnet protector, Tint, Snorkel, tub liner, Tow bar, Bash plates, Sliders, Sus lift, DVD headrests, Idler Arm Brace, P Bull bar, Winch, Canopy, Dynapro ATM's, Alarm, Slim weather shields, EGR mod, +120's, 9' LED's, LED parkers, Seat covers, Variable intermittent wiper stalk, Dash mat, DVR mirror with reverse camera.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:39 AM

Dual battery from the factory but I reckon I'll run a third aux battery in the tub to run fridge and accessories. Dual cycle I have in mind won't fit under the bonnet.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Old 05-10-2019, 12:45 AM

From what I know (which isn't much), if you're going to run one of those AGM deep cycle batteries, it still might be good to have dc/dc charger installed. The alternator won't fully charge these type of batteries because the output voltage isn't high enough.

Though this info is from someone who sells this stuff, so make of it what you will. Apparently they require about 14.8-9 volts to charge fully which helps extend the life of the battery.

Though I don't have one as I installed it before I knew any of this, only have a low voltage cutout to protect the battery from being run too flat. I can see where it is right though, no matter how long I have been driving with the alternator charging the aux battery, if I put the smart charger on it, it always takes a couple of hours or more in the 14.6-9 V range before it stops accepting current and is "full".

Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 AM

Sounds like my received info above might have been motivated by profit lol. Interesting read in the link.

https://outbackjoe.com/macho-diverti...and-inverters/