D40 Exhaust and Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew_man

Reaction score
hi every one I have a navara d40 and I have upgrade my hot intercooler pipe, blocked my egr, K&N pod, catch can, and I booked in for my 3" tipan exhaust and steinbauer chip next week I was also going to upgrade the intercooler as well

so today I gave "ETS" Eastern turbochargers a call just to ask a few questions on is there anything I can do with my turbo to get more out of it ie high flow ect which I found out is not possible like I thought

whilst I was on the phone with him he told me I should not go 3" as there is no back pressure i should go no bigger than 2.5" but i thought back pressure doesn't matter to much on a diesel and the turbo and muffler would be enough ???

he also told me not to upgrade to a bigger intercooler as it will be to much for the car the small turbo wont be able to fill the intercooler properly making the car really lag and starve the motor ??

so i just wanted to check on these few issues ?

was he correct with the exhaust and intercooler because with everything i have read on this site says i should be fine to go with a 3" and bigger intercooler

There are a few threads on here written by Lindsay who use to go under the name of "north side 4x4", anyway he has done allot of dyno work with all sorts of systems and he did say that you will not get any more gain by going bigger then 2.75" and that the gains received from 2.5" and up were so minuscule no one could tell the difference on the real world unless you put it on the dyno. You will need a High flow cat and no muffler, on a good quality MANDREL bent system to see much difference with any system you choose.

He did say however that doing the intercooler and hard piping is good and there are gains to be had.

Last edited:
The bloke on the phone was telling me the car will go worse with the 3" than the 2.5 and stock exhaust

Like I said as far as I know there is no advantage performance wise by going 3" so just go a good mandrel bent 2.5" system with only a high flow cat and NO muffler.

The other thing is just because one guy says not to do it doesn't mean he is right, like you said heaps of guys on this forum are running 3" systems and I dint remember hearing any of them say that the car now goes "worse"

You could have a chat with "sparra04" (moderator) I'm sure he is running a big system on his d22, see what he thinks and what system he has

Latest posts

Back