Fault Code 0407

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So recently (last month or so) my D22 has become more and more difficult to start, to the point of tonight finally throwing an error code. It now takes about 5-8 seconds of solid cranking and it finally splutters to life and the fault light comes on.

So basically this seems to have been happening after I went for a play in the mud just over a month ago. I got stuck with my front end in for about 10 mins, and was just going back and fourth and couldn't get out till I packed enough crap under the rear wheels so I could get traction. My floor got muddy/wet and shit so I had to rip all that out, wash it and let it dry

What I have tried:
I drained my battery about 4 weeks ago and thought it was finally dead so I bought a new cranker as I was probs due anyway.

Bought 4 new glow plugs

Cleaned the injectors with diesel purge

Pulled off two connections from the starter motor to try and clean them. Had planned to remove the starter for a better clean but couldnt work out how to remove it (thought maybe water or dirt got in there).

And tonight I removed the battery leads and cleaned them, removed the earth next to the battery to clean it and removed the earth from the engine to the guard to clean it.

The code started being thrown after I cleaned the earths, before that it was hard to start (no where near as bad) but no engine light.

I got the codes 0707, 0703 and 0407. I cleared the ECU spluttered the ZD30 to life and got the error light, re-read the codes and got 0407 again, the other codes were likely old.

So the code is a crank sensor code but everyone who I see has replaced there's, it made no difference for them.

My instinct says it's the starter motor, as the only problems I am having is actually starting the thing, once it's going it appears to run fine (well it has been).

Only other thing to mention is it seems to be far worse when cold (however tonight after I cleaned the earths the engine was still relatively warm and it was the worse it ever has been).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers,
Short

The crank sensor doesn't have to be faulty to show a fault with it. It could just be the electrical connection - and that could be at the sensor itself, or any of the junctions between it and the ECU (including the ECU too).

Long and difficult cranks though are often the sign of air getting into the fuel. Perhaps there's a problem with the fuel primer or hoses around the filter that just happens to raise its head now? How many primer squeezes does it take to get firm in the morning?

Even water in the wiring loom can cause earthing, my oil light glows dimly for days after a dunking. So that or the starter like you thought.

Took it to an autolec and he found an earth which was barely tightened down. Don't know how it came loose. Once he tightened that up it worked. Car is still super slow to crank though. Will likely need a new starter. He can get one for $450+install. Seems pricey but I do know the guy so that's likely the best he can do

Well today I got the jumper cable out linked the neg on the battery to the engine block and it started almost perfectly. So the earth running from the block to the cab, near the EGR pipe, turns out it has some blue green corrosion in the copper cabling which was causing the cable to have high resistance. So I have replaced that earth. I will also replace the earth off the alternator on the other side of the engine with some new heavier gauge wire as a safety measure. Starter seems fine for now

And now the only problem I am having is the trip meter and clock reset every time I turn the car on and off. Not sure if this still has to do with the earthing issues? I have read a couple of posts on this and a couple of people have replaced all their fuses and fixed the problem. Due to my recent earth issues maybe my ECU isn't earthing properly? Does anyone know where the ecu earth is? The only other thing is, when I read my fault codes I have to bridge the two pins on the diagnostic port maybe I have done something to it? I know I was initially bridge the wrong ports and one of them didn't even have a connector in it, Ha!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back