D40 auto box shuddering

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just on this - I swapped out my trans mount last weekend. Now, that 'grumble' off the line is non-existent. The old mount doesn't look too bad at first glance (mine has done 206K) but there are definitely some weird angles on it. If you look at it closely, there are also witness marks indicating some metal on metal contact - which would explain the grumbles....

In terms of getting it out you need to take out the cross member - which requires 4 long bolts - 2 at each end - to be taken out. Of course, the outer ones are awkward... Note that it *looks* like the DPF (on the auto) is properly in the way on the passenger side - but you can get them out with just a little bit of persuasion on the DPF with a bar. There is an exhaust mount on the passenger side (2 bolts) on the cross member as well and the 3 bolts into the trans mount itself - you will need a deep socket to get to those.

The cross member is definitely an interference fit and in there pretty good - I used a big hammer above it on the drivers side to knock it down and then a crowbar to the point where I could wiggle it out from the passenger's side. It doesn't fall out!

Once the new mount is bolted onto the trans, getting the cross member back home is a little tricky. I got it started by knocking it up on either end (I had help) to get it 'stuck' (middle-ing it as close as you can by eye) - then used a trolley jack to send it home. You *do* need to worry about the holes lining up with the chassis rail on either end - but fortunately, with it home there is scope to lever it across with a crowbar.

I did it all 'on the floor' (not jacked up) although an 80-100mm lift helps!!! If you hunt it down, you can find genuine mounts the interballs for $120-130. To me, well worth the effort if your rig has done more than 150K.

A

Latest posts

Back