5 Speed Auto not holding fifth

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloke48

Reaction score
I have noticed a sudden increase in fuel consumption in my 2012 build (2013 sold) ST 5 speed auto after coming home from a five week holiday where the car sat for most of the time.

Took it for a run today and noticed that when the transmission is in "Drive" at 100km/hr (and should be in 5th gear) the tacho shows higher revs and the transmission is running in 4th gear. Use the clutchless manual and put it in 5th gear, it stays there and the tacho shows around 2000 rpm at 100km/hr. Knock it back across to the auto and it shows "D" (Drive) but the tacho immediately shows an increase in revs and, when the transmission is changed back to the clutchless manual again, it shows the transmission is in 4th gear.

Explains the sudden increase in fuel consumption because, when in Drive, the truck seems never to be running in 5th gear (even at 100km/hr) and the revs are up.

Any ideas? The truck has extended warranty and due for a 50,000km service in two weeks time. I want to be able to sound reasonably knowledgeable when I take it to the dealer and complain.

I haven't heard of it before, but I wonder if it's got anything to do with the low battery level? Might be worth trying a brand new battery in it, or give yours a full charge before the service and see if that makes a difference.

Funny you should say that. I just had the battery replaced because it went belly-up while I was away. Supposedly a new NRMA "fit for purpose" battery!

it may simply be a case of poor fuel and your using more throttle which changes the shift point of the gearbox.
its also possible the change in battery deleted emissions data and it hasn't relearn it.
may pay to do a fuel filter change and reset the pump learning data.

Spoke to my brother who jump started the truck last time we went away and he said the auto was "all over the place" when he test drove it then. Auto changed at irregular times, engine revved etc. etc. until he took it for a longer drive and it all settled down. Might try a drive again and see what happens otherwise the dealer gets a job in a week and a bit.

You may need to reset the ECU?

I haven't ever needed to do it on either of my D22's when I have replaced batteries, but they're pretty basic electronically.

But, whenever my wife's Pajero battery gets low, or disconnected, I have to do the Mitsubishi relearn procedure, or the car runs ruff as guts.

Just a thought! ;)

I tried driving on the tacho and noticed the following:

1. At 100km/hr in Drive, the tacho sits on 2000 revs;

2. At 100km/hr in "manual-auto", the tacho jumps to 2500 revs and the dash indicator shows "4";

3. At 100km/hr in "manual-auto" fifth gear, the tacho shows 2000 revs.

So..... I am happy that the transmission is selecting fifth gear when in Drive at 100km per hour and that it automatically kicks down to fourth when "manual-auto" is selected. Just need someone to confirm that this kick-down is normal and for another fuel fill to come around (and the distance to fill indicator to show more than 555km) and I'll be happy that everything is running normally again... maybe it has "re-learned" its manners!

All good now. Whatever the dealer did at the 50,000km service to re-set codes appears to have worked and fuel consumption is back towards normal. Now to find the cause of the engine oil leak....

I tried driving on the tacho and noticed the following:

1. At 100km/hr in Drive, the tacho sits on 2000 revs;

2. At 100km/hr in "manual-auto", the tacho jumps to 2500 revs and the dash indicator shows "4";

3. At 100km/hr in "manual-auto" fifth gear, the tacho shows 2000 revs.

So..... I am happy that the transmission is selecting fifth gear when in Drive at 100km per hour and that it automatically kicks down to fourth when "manual-auto" is selected. Just need someone to confirm that this kick-down is normal and for another fuel fill to come around (and the distance to fill indicator to show more than 555km) and I'll be happy that everything is running normally again... maybe it has "re-learned" its manners!
I have the exact behaviour. So I will say it is normal or both of us have the same issue... :)

Latest posts

Back