Checking level of 550 transmission oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam777

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Just wondering if anybody can tell me how you check the transmission oil levels in a 550 navara please, it has 17000 kms on it and on a cold morning when i select drive it doesn't move the engine just revs momentarily before engaging and the shifts are becoming a little jerky at times.

Thanks in advance for any info.

The series 4 has a dipstick in front of the drivers side firewall and you need a 10mm spanner to undo the nut so you can remove the dipstick. I haven't had a close look at the 550's but I'd imagine it would be something similar.

You should be able to check it from the filler hole too but it may not be as accurate as the dipstick, which may not even be accurate in itself who knows...aaahhh fcuk it it's all too hard just trade it on a bike.

Hello ozsnow,

Does your truck still change gears exactly the same in the cold on initial start up or does it hold on to the gear longer and rev the engine more? when leaving our street of a morning it's quite steep and will not shift gear until i reach the brow of the hill but when everything is up to temperature it will happily shift a couple of gears on the same stretch of road, i can't see that this is normal behaviour.

Thanks.

The 550 doesn't have a transmission dipstick. Off hand I'm not sure which is which, but on the sump there is 2 recesses, one is to check the level- when the bung is removed if oil runs out then it is ok, if none runs out then it needs to be topped up through the other hole.
The transmission also needs to be at a certain temperature to do this. If you need more precise info let me know and I will dig it out.

Thank you for this, i did wonder as when i had it up on the ramps i saw that on the bottom of the gearbox there was like a sump plug on one end and an allen key bolt on the other end and a lot of european stuff these days seems to be either filled for life or you pump the new oil in via a tube, i wondered with it been a renault engine if the gearbox was theirs too?

If it is not too much trouble for you i would be really interested in more information regarding this as i would like to check for myself how much oil is in gearbox, not full of confidence that there will be enough in it though as the car didn't even have no where near enough coolant in from brand new so maybe this is the same!

Hello guys,

Just wondering if anybody can tell me how you check the transmission oil levels in a 550 navara please, it has 17000 kms on it and on a cold morning when i select drive it doesn't move the engine just revs momentarily before engaging and the shifts are becoming a little jerky at times.

Thanks in advance for any info.

During the colder months and still going doing the same. Mine feels like a slipping torque converter or a cvt. Is getting worse
Also has a big neutral over-rev on the highway @100 kph. Tacho goes from 1800 to 3200 rpm.

My brother has the same truck with no issues !!!!! He had a service at a country dealership recently and explained these transmission issues and the service manager said he has seen quite a few like this. Reccomends to check ALL earths underbonnet and behind dash. Also has recalibrated the G sensor on the 2nd gen 550's. Replaced on earlier ones...

I am booking in for my 20k service and warranty rectification there. They have also reccomended castrol low ash full synthetic engine oil.

New to forum , spent 7 years with Nissan motor company , finished 2007.

Seems to have gone down hill since then with after sales service that's for sure ..!!!!!

My gearbox was starting to a make a sort of slapping noise when changing gears towing took it to Rockdale Nissan and they said that there's 2 g sensors they were out of balance from towing a caravan, they recalibrated and all good. Mine is one of the first models 2011.

Last edited:
Also does your truck seem worse when you are driving in manual mode? in mine if you short shift the gears (when the box allows you to of course!) whilst still accelerating mine seems to "slip" more than is noticeable in normal auto mode.

hey navara67 just wondering if you have had your 20 thou service done yet and if you had any joy with the gearbox issue?

Do you know where these G sensors are positioned?

Thanks.

Had my 20k service today................................I chose to stay with local dealer and not go to Wagga as planned..........when I asked regarding the transmission issues and results ......there were none !!! I was told that it was just a service and nothing was done about the trans.........peed off..

Also does your truck seem worse when you are driving in manual mode? in mine if you short shift the gears (when the box allows you to of course!) whilst still accelerating mine seems to "slip" more than is noticeable in normal auto mode.

Hi Adam 777

Mine does the same in manual mode. I think it's shagged.....actually feel it slipping between changes.....

Interestingly though when I went to pick up my truck the dealer principal mentioned there was a service bulletin 2 years ago suggesting that a transmission exhibiting these issues must be replaced......

Btw the g sensors are on the passenger floor so the tech guy says. Haven't looked yet.

Hello navara67,

Does the slipping you are noticing get less as the revs rise? as in when you are just on the torque of the motor is the slipping worse than when the revs build because in mine it gets to a certain point say in 4th gear when its as if it stops slipping and it then accelerates rapidly up until that point its fairly useless and just revs its ballbag off!

Thats what mine is doing as well. ( STILL )

Some time after my service I have had call from dealer to inform me that NISSAN ARE AWARE of the problem BUT DON"T KNOW HOW TO FIX IT so they have outsourced an engineering firm to assist !!!!!!!!

My fuel economy is gradually getting worse still and am only achieving 12.5 LPH mostly highway running. That equates to approx 550 klm per 75 litres.
Disgracefull....
My transmission now changes like an old hydromatic when towing......isn't technology wonderful !!!

Drove a new 2.8 Colorado auto yesterday. Blew me away. Has more useable power , beautiful transmission.......positive gear changes. Felt twice as responsive on the throttle with only 3/4 of power compared to v9x........Damn!

hello navara67,

Will you keep me informed what the dealers say please, are they keeping you up to date with any new information that they get?

I actually think that if they could fix the gearbox in this truck it would be a really nice thing, it shifts really smooth but just irritates the shit out of me trying to be too fancy, especially in manual mode when it still won't let you choose what gear you want and still drops 2 or 3 gears when overtaking. Not to mention how speed related the shifts are!

Kinda wish i'd of got an Amarok ultimate.

Please keep me informed with any info you get.

Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back