GT28 Water Lines on a QD32?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderss

Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here but I'm now again looking at FINALLY fitting a turbo to my QD32. I picked up a whole TD27 engine for $500 with an upgraded GT28 turbo which I will be fitting to my QD using the TD27 manifold. I know where to plumb in the oil feed and return but I'm stuck on water cooling lines. I have been told I can just plumb straight into the heater hose or just tape straight into the thermo housing. I have heard pros and cons for both and can't really decide because I'm not sure if the heater hose has a constant supply of water and if it does, does it have an efficient enough supply to cool the turbo with no dramas?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Anders

you can run turbo without water cooling. turbo's are actually oil cooled. the water connection is mostly there for engine shutdown so it takes up the heat soak so the oil doesn't get fried.

if you fit the water connection you need to connect it the right way to be able to get the thermosiphon effect to work. otherwise its a bit pointless.

you can run turbo without water cooling. turbo's are actually oil cooled. the water connection is mostly there for engine shutdown so it takes up the heat soak so the oil doesn't get fried.

if you fit the water connection you need to connect it the right way to be able to get the thermosiphon effect to work. otherwise its a bit pointless.

So I don't actually have to have the water line connected to run my turbo?

So I don't actually have to have the water line connected to run my turbo?

don't have to. many diesels do not have water cooled turbo's. like the zd30 navara and patrol.
diesels don't run as hot as petrols especially non-egr engines.
only thing is you need to let it cool down before engine shut off after a hard run.

only thing i would check is what bearings your turbo has.

if you do want to fit the water line, you just have to get the lines the right way otherwise the cooling will not work properly.
typically tapping into the heater hoses works, just have to check they are in the right position to work.

When I turbo'd my QD32 with the standard td27 turbo i tapped into the heater lines as the flow is restricted further up near the firewall as that is where the heater tap is.

I ran it like that for 40000k's before I sold it and never had a drama, also do yourself a favour and pickup a boost gauge and EGT gauge as they will be the most important gauges in the car.

The way to look at water cooled turbos, if its there you may as well use it, and that's how that certain turbo was designed to run, unlike pure oil cooled turbos.

Yeah i tapped the heater lines on my zd30. Just find the coolant flow map and cock your chra so that you get a convection effect after shut down.

I swapped my QD32 with a QD32ETI, practically identical. No issues with the aircon.

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

I would do that if I had the money! But what I mean about the aircon is where the water feed line is placed on the QD32ETI I have a stupid sensor that I need to make my aircon work but I may have found a way around it. Thanks for the advice though mate, appreciate it!

don't have to. many diesels do not have water cooled turbo's. like the zd30 navara and patrol.
diesels don't run as hot as petrols especially non-egr engines.
only thing is you need to let it cool down before engine shut off after a hard run.

only thing i would check is what bearings your turbo has.

if you do want to fit the water line, you just have to get the lines the right way otherwise the cooling will not work properly.
typically tapping into the heater hoses works, just have to check they are in the right position to work.

Ohh okay, I get what you mean

Mine isn't a ball bearing one from memory, its the other type of bearing turbo you can get

Yeah I will plumb them up for safety measure.
What do you mean by right position? If you don't mind me asking

When I turbo'd my QD32 with the standard td27 turbo i tapped into the heater lines as the flow is restricted further up near the firewall as that is where the heater tap is.

I ran it like that for 40000k's before I sold it and never had a drama, also do yourself a favour and pickup a boost gauge and EGT gauge as they will be the most important gauges in the car.

The way to look at water cooled turbos, if its there you may as well use it, and that's how that certain turbo was designed to run, unlike pure oil cooled turbos.

Interesting, heater hoses sounds like the go at the moment!
I have an EGT, Boost and Oil Pressure gauge to install when the turbo goes in

That's exactly what I was thinking. So the TD27 standard turbo is water cooled is it?

What do you mean by right position? If you don't mind me asking

keep in mind the cooling works by thermo siphon.
for an example my toyota has the water outlet going to the heater hose, which goes to the bottom radiator hose, but the turbo water inlet hose does not go to the heater hose. instead of the easy heater hose, toyota run the inlet hose back to the top of the water system. the heater hose is somewhat lower.
thermo siphon requires a difference in height. if you tap into both heater hoses at the same height the siphon effect will not work.

hey anderss, from what i've read about hooking up the water lines on a qd32 to a turbo is either tee into a heater hose or a td27 thermostat housing for the inlet and for the return line i believe the best option is the drain plug at the bottom rear passenger side of the block, i can't remember who's post this was as i've read a lot of them. please let us know how you go as i'm interested in doing the same thing sometime in the future
cheers doug

Latest posts

Back