Water to Air Intercooler setup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just install a small piece of rubber strip or washer between each fan kount and intercooler to takr some of the shock load and save it rubbing on the cooler

UPDATE!!!
Mounted the water pump to the inside of the bullbar brackets last night and put the lower radiator hose on between the bottom of the radiator and the inlet of the water pump. Took about 3 hours to do as I had to remove the spray bottle to get my drill in to drill the 2 x 6mm holes.

The bracket consists of a 62 - 65mm T clamp and 2 x 40mm x 40mm "L" brackets bolted together to form a "U" shape.

Attachments

• 20131111_212325.jpg
    20131111_212325.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 20131111_212347.jpg
    20131111_212347.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 20131111_212425.jpg
    20131111_212425.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 256
Today I hope to wire up the 2 fans and water pump to a switch I use to use for my thermo fan. I wanted to get this done yesterday but mounting the pump took longer than expected.......

With the fans be on a temp switch with a variable speed resister? slow speed fast speed?

Looking to see the results cant wait.

Nah just on/off. That sort of stuff is too hard for me, Id prefer to keep it simple. Finished the wiring this arvo, about 1 1/2 hrs worth of work. Pretty simple just wired both the fans and the pump together then wired in the power. As stated before the power was already in the engine bay from my previous thermo fan. Used 25 amp wiring. fans draw 7A each and pump draws 4A under max load.

it'll be good to see your results mate, i have a w2a on mine, but the radiator is only half the size, i think that is my limiting factor. been wanting to put some pre and post temp sensors in but just haven't had the chance really.

it'll be good to see your results mate, i have a w2a on mine, but the radiator is only half the size, i think that is my limiting factor. been wanting to put some pre and post temp sensors in but just haven't had the chance really.

Any pics of your setup mate.

Progress is going to be slow for a month, got a shit load of work for the next 2 weeks and I want to do some testing of the A2A which requires my gauges and probes to arrive from america (allowing 2 - 3 weeks from past experiences). Going to test pre and post temps on the A2A, then install the W2A and test that. I need to make up the piping and mounting brackets for the new cooler as well which could take a day or 2.

Air sensors http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_24&products_id=167

Water sensor http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_24&products_id=134

Display Gauges x 3 (I want blue ones) http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_21&products_id=139

If anyone can see any reason why these wouldn't work please let me know as I will be ordering them tomorrow

This is the best photo i have of it at the moment mate. I have wrapped the intake in heat shielding since this photo was taken. I've got a dodgy overflow can set up atm, but i have a catch can the same as the red one in the photo on its way to replace the red neck crc tin in the photo! :redcool:

dilmah,

i cant see any reason why your choice of RTDs and displays wouldn't work. I reckon they will be perfect for the job actually.

This is the best photo i have of it at the moment mate. I have wrapped the intake in heat shielding since this photo was taken. I've got a dodgy overflow can set up atm, but i have a catch can the same as the red one in the photo on its way to replace the red neck crc tin in the photo! :redcool:

Nice setup mate. I do recall seeing it in another tread.

cheers

its only small mate, 10'' x 13''. Spoke to a mate and he reckons he's seen blokes set theirs up under the tray with thermos on it.

At first i didn't like the idea, then i thought by running the piping that far, you would increase the amount of fluid in the system heaps, so that would help to keen the fluid cooler. Plus it might dissipate some of the heat to the atmosphere on its way to the radiator, prob not much but every bit helps.

Having the radiator at the back could also allow me to have a a much larger one, with twin thermos on it. I really don't think i would be able to fit anything bigger on the front of mine with the winch on. Also having it under the tray would put less hot air onto the cars cooling and air con systems giving them an easier life i guess.

my only real concern is stuff flicking up off the road and hitting the pipes or radiator. Could maybe put a deflection plate of some sort to protect it.

so i'm gonna be the lazy one here and see what results dilmah gets with his set up and if its worth it, i might trial a larger radiator under the tray!

I also though about putting it in the tray or under the body somewhere. Again the whole idea of it being protected from shit flicking up and hitting it is of big concern. I don't wanna loose my tray space either...... Ill see how this setup goes and, the aim is to get ambient + (5 - 10) degrees but I don't think this will happen.

yeah def wouldn't put it in the try. I was thinking maybe in front of the spare wheel so its up high as possible. i haven't actually had a look under the tray yet. I've found some awesome stainless steel mesh/screen at work that has holes about 4 to 5mm and about 2mm thick. so i reckon i could make some decent protection with that and not loose any air flow around the set up.

I'd be super happy with 20 degrees above ambient let alone 5! I reckon you'd need a ice box in the config to get as low as ambient or a lot of fluid with a very big and efficient heat exchanger.

Small update, guages have been ordered and are on their way from the states, should take 2 weeks from past experiences. As stated before Im going to test the stock cooler first to get some standard data then compare that to the W2A setup. The Nav will then be taking a chip to Chip It to have the boost increased to 16 - 18 Psi. While it is there Im gonna get them to put an EGT and Boost guage on it

Ok so my auber guages came today!!! I love getting goodies in the mail. Will be buying a tap and die set tomorrow and setting up the guages on the stock intercooler for now.

Attachments

• 20131128_102757.jpg
    20131128_102757.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 115
Why not tap the inlet manifold. That way it's in for both setups and the readings will be the same. You could tap the outlet from the turbo also.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back