2nd day after buying d22 2.5 it cracked the head

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucon

Reaction score
I just picked up a dx d22 (single cab) with 140,000 for 8k with a roady, should have known the deal wasto good to be true. Car also came with a roady.

The next day driving home from ballarat at 110km/ph the heat jumped started soaring, so i backed iff the throttle a bit and it dropped back down so i was keeping an eye on it. Went of for another 5 mins started to rise again so slowed more and it peaked just before i got to the servo. It would not over heat in traffic. I opened the bonnet to find the overflow bottle hose from rad had been blown off the overflow bottle looked like skinny milk.... radiator was bone dry by this point. Its at the mechanics now he did a leak down test and suspects its either head gasket or cracked head...

If its cracked the head, am i better off buying a brand new one or getting mine recod?

Also while the head is off, is there any ither preventive maintenacne i should do?

Cheers in advance

Id say the head will be cactus. Buy new one, dont try to repair.
Take a look at the injectors while head is off.

you can get cracked cylinder heads repaired , with some luck its only a head gasket issue. look around for a recon head incase.

I am praying its the head gasket, once it comes off ill take it to a head shop and get it crack tested to be sure.

How can you tell if the injector is screwed?

Yd25 may be different to zd30, but zd30 heads arent worth repairing.

Your injectors should be ok, i only suggest having them checked as its probably an easy time to do it. Id say they would cost quite a bit to replace.

I might get a price on getting the injectors cleaned, is the top timing chain worth doing while the head is off?

That's a bugger, if say the head is rooted. On eBay there's a place in Wodonga that sells brand new complete heads for a reasonable price.
Whilst the head is off get them to check for ware in the timing chain and adjuster. Hopefully for your sake it's just the gasket but I doubt it

Ive been priced 1900 for a brand new head complete kit, minis cams i think....

How can you tell if the tensioner is rooted? Ill be getting the chain looked at

not sure if you can tell if the tensioner is stuffed unless its still mounted to engine with the chain attached as you measure the gap distance. i know the later d-22 or d-40 models have an acceptable gap space of 10 mm. really if your spending this amount on a new head you should fit a new tensioner and even a new timing chain at the same time, then your sure of having a good engine.

The head got pressure tested and crack tested and came up great, the head was worped so he is shaving it back 30 thou..
The mech said that the timing chain and guides were perfect.
The head is getting recod while its off, new valves and valve sten seals and what ever else is needed to bring up to scratch.
Costing me $2200 thats including oil and oil filter coolant and thermo stat.

Also i have a crack in my exhaust manifold. Does any one know a place thats makes the manifold in mild steel?

Apparently cracked manifolds are a fairly common problem. Depending on how quickly you want it back on the road, you could get a manifold made by someone while it's still in bits...

Like most people im after quick and cheap

But i found a guy in SA that makes them ready to go with the egr plate welded to the manifold for $550 delivered. 3.2mm steam pipe they look pretty good. Best price ive seen for a brand new genuine nissan is $375 and the rip offs at allniss in brookyln want $450 for second hand.

So potentially SA is looking the good

Latest posts

Back