Rattling noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cafedex

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my 2013 D40 St manual (5000kms) has started making a tapping / rattling sound, especially after a cold start. As soon as the engine is started, the tapping sound intermittently starts. It doesn't seem to increase in intensity by revving or driving. It just makes the constant rhythm tap, tap coming from the engine bay directly behind the firewall.

I've made a recording from inside straight after start up and giving a bit of a rev and drive away in 1st.

Any ideas as to what it could be would be much appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xyo9upx4nvwx26/noise.mp3

Dex

I've heard some have had problems with metal lines rattling just behind the firewall, think they were brake lines. From memory the problem was solved by a piece of foam wedged between the rattling line and the firewall.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with a more accurate memory.

with mine it was the alluminum air con pipe behind the brake booster that did it.

Usually it's the clutch hydraulic line that sits a little too close to the firewall. Nissan have actually been replacing the lines under warranty rather than bending them or shoving stuff in there - a little more expensive but guarantees that the pipes aren't weakened by further cold bending, and that the "fix" doesn't fall out on the second pothole. That's especially important in Australia, since that second pothole is probably still within sight of the dealership.

So Nav visited Nissan today, been told that foam between dash to firewall has been deteriorated.
New modified part is available but comes with 3 weeks waiting time as it's coming from Thailand. Thought I should add here if anyone does encounter same issue.

Latest posts

Back