Navara ZD30 Motor Problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedt83

Reaction score
So of the 1579 (some being d40 owners) how many people have had major D22 ZD30 motor problems??

Just interest to know how many are going strong and how many have gone pop(hopefully I will never be in the pop section, touch wood) and the same with turbos.

Hey mate, my Navara is a 2006 model D22 and has only had the engine oil and filters changed.

The engine hasn't really been touched, last service I had the buckets and shims checked but there fine and in spec and thats after 162,000km's.

When she hits 200,000km's Ill get a new set of injectors installed for good measure,

Dave.

first turbo at 31000ks, 2nd turbo 24hours after getting it back off nissan, motor went with it. Spat almost every bearing. Just about to do 30000ks with the new motor.
edit: "serviced" by nissan every 5000ks.

Last edited:
With not too many people saying that they have had one die (unlucky joshy to have two turbos and a motor) so hopefully mine with 100,000k will keep going and going and going. (with services every 5000k with good oil and filter)

i have 113000 km's, i changed the oil every 5000km's and filter's every 10,000 km's and i had a front crank shaft seal replaced.
nissan said that when you go 4wding with this motor and it get's water and dirt on the motor the seal slowly degrades. and then i got a leak and thats my only problem with them motor.
i've also had diesel gas conversion for 46000 km's and a diesel power chip for like 30,000 km's.

120,000 ks and I only change the oil every 10,000 ks modern oil dosnt need changing as oftern. Had it chiped and a three inch exhaust with turbo dump pipe for about 40,000 the only thing ive had to change is a set of tyres. Oh and if your concerned about the oil change times dont I also run a real truck and have put 200,000 ks on it in 3 years with the same oil and intervals.

What's a real truck? :eviltongue:

We used to run 15-20K intervals on the 8 tonne Mitsu's and anything bigger with CAT power usually got done at a minimum of 15K unless there was a lot of city kilometers between intervals. Even the crappy old Mitsu's that were early 90 models did over 800K before a rebuild with those service intervals.

turbo died at 110k. Serviced at 10k intervals. rebuilt engine, didn't probably need to but did for piece of mind. Injectors and pump both way out of spec at time of rebuild.

My advice, get an intercooler on a zd30. The engine seems to be ok in the 3.0 Navaras but turbos are weak. The cooler is a catchers mit for the turbo but also increases efficiency and power, I am very happy with the results of mine.

If the turbo on the ZD30 is prone to self-destruction, perhaps this is a prime example of why you'd need an EGT-controlled turbo timer?

Exactly. I'm thinking about making one, just a temp probe into an analog input of a microcontroller, have a temp setpoint and a digital output to latch on until the temp drops below the set point with a bit of hysteresis built in. Only question, how do turbo timers keep the engine running, is it as simple as a relay contact in parrallel with a contact in the ignition switch?

I suppose though there is a black box that comes off the shelf that does this already. Can't wait to do it, am going to put the probe in where the egt pipe connects to the exhaust manifold and completey remove the engine destroying egt system.

a few of the patrol guys use a digital egt guage that has programmable relays built into it which is usually use to trigger warning lights. instead they connect it to a turbo timer.

Exactly. I'm thinking about making one, just a temp probe into an analog input of a microcontroller, have a temp setpoint and a digital output to latch on until the temp drops below the set point with a bit of hysteresis built in. Only question, how do turbo timers keep the engine running, is it as simple as a relay contact in parrallel with a contact in the ignition switch?

I suppose though there is a black box that comes off the shelf that does this already. Can't wait to do it, am going to put the probe in where the egt pipe connects to the exhaust manifold and completey remove the engine destroying egt system.

That's the bit I don't know about - how the turbo timers actually hook into the system.

They are available, but they carry a premium price tag, as you'd expect.

Well I have only read about 3 on this web site so the odds are its unlucky for it to happen but just make sure services are up to date (not saying that the guys that it happened to didnt look after the d22, they were just unlucky)

My ZD30 in a 2002 Navara went bang at 124,000km - serviced every 10,000km oil and filter. Strip down revealed all 4 pistons cracked, head cracked in multiple places, piston 4 blown right through from combustion bowl out between rings. Pistons out shows no oil sludging ever, piston bums as clean as new. MAF test shows sensor over voltage and turbo over blowing - suspect been like that for a long time slowly cooking the tops off the pistons. Always ran clean and well - no real warning of impending doom!

In hindsight, early warning may have been turbo hose blowing out at 110k km. Nissan NZ don't care - claim wasn't serviced often enough due to towing (!!). Nissan NZ attitude is "if Nissan haven't serviced it, it hasn't been serviced". I'll never own a Nissan again. expected cost to rebuild, $18,000 NZ - I wish I could buy one of those $AUD7000 long blocks I see were available! Actually, I just wish Nissan would own up to the early ZD30s being crap!

My ZD30 in a 2002 Navara went bang at 124,000km - serviced every 10,000km oil and filter. Strip down revealed all 4 pistons cracked, head cracked in multiple places, piston 4 blown right through from combustion bowl out between rings. Pistons out shows no oil sludging ever, piston bums as clean as new. MAF test shows sensor over voltage and turbo over blowing - suspect been like that for a long time slowly cooking the tops off the pistons. Always ran clean and well - no real warning of impending doom!

???? navara ZD30 doesn't have a MAF.
what boost was it doing? stuck wastegate ?

that the trouble with EGT damage it builds up with time before it finally lets go. if your lucky it cracks the piston/head enough to make it overheat so you notice it.

tho totally agree with you about nissan. heads in the sand about it, ditto for the UK guys and their 2.5's conrod/bearings issue.

Latest posts

Back