Does the D23 have a Diesel Particulate Filter?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnuts

Reaction score
Do any of the D23's (especially the ST 4X4 Dual Cab model) have a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)?

It does but not in the sense of the 07-11 D40's. It's part of the CAT.

Down the track they will get DPF's more like the older D40's and the spare switch panel in between the heated seat switches on the center console (STX) will be filled with a switch to do a manual burn so it doesn't run into the same problems as the regen problems of the D40's.

So if it's part of the cat does that mean is it less likely to clog up with soot?

Is it in any way better than having a dedicated DPF?

I assume you still need to run it hot periodically to burn it out and it costs a lot to replace one.

Last edited:
It's a low cell item (unlike the old ones) and will not clog up and because the CAT runs hot there is no need to heat it with extra burning or fuel like the old ones.

I suspect of the current D23 only the European models may get a dedicated DPF with the switch at this stage. Our ones may get it with a facelift in 3 years but I wouldn't put money on it as our emission laws aren't as strict as of yet for light vehicles.

In the older cars the DPF lay under the front passenger floor - a fair way from the heat of the dump pipe and CAT. Integrating the DPF into the CAT means the heat is right there where it's needed.

That all sounds like good news. It sounds like there's less or no special driving requirements and the thing is a lot less likely to block up and need replacing.

In Europe they have had the DPF and cat all-in-one for some time and right up the dump pipe near the turbo and still have problems with them blocking up.
Will have to see how they go.
I do mostly HYW driving so should not be a problem for me. (fingers crossed)

In Europe they have had the DPF and cat all-in-one for some time and right up the dump pipe near the turbo and still have problems with them blocking up.
Will have to see how they go.
I do mostly HYW driving so should not be a problem for me. (fingers crossed)

With all the shit going down at VW AG makes you wonder if Diesel is worth it. Meanwhile every manufacturer with 4WD utes sold in Australia is Diesel only.

I wouldn't think that a reasonably driven car would have any trouble with the DPF. Mine's just gone past its 200,000km and the DPF is still there, still doing its thing.

I suppose part of the difference is that I'm constantly conscious of how I'm driving and what I'm asking the engine to do. I've been 4WDing and spent some considerable time in 4LO, and rather than let the car choke up, I've sat in second (still in 4LO) and held the revs at around 1800-2000 for an extended period as we came up the trails towards the main roads.

That's not going to be the case for everyone and for everyone to be happy with the way the DPF works, it has to work for the way everyone drives - and obviously it doesn't, or more D40 autos would still have their DPFs intact.

I hope that moving the DPF into the CAT makes it more reliable for more driving styles.

I wouldn't think that a reasonably driven car would have any trouble with the DPF. Mine's just gone past its 200,000km and the DPF is still there, still doing its thing.

I suppose part of the difference is that I'm constantly conscious of how I'm driving and what I'm asking the engine to do. I've been 4WDing and spent some considerable time in 4LO, and rather than let the car choke up, I've sat in second (still in 4LO) and held the revs at around 1800-2000 for an extended period as we came up the trails towards the main roads.

That's not going to be the case for everyone and for everyone to be happy with the way the DPF works, it has to work for the way everyone drives - and obviously it doesn't, or more D40 autos would still have their DPFs intact.

I hope that moving the DPF into the CAT makes it more reliable for more driving styles.

I'm guessing it will as the heat from the cat is there. Still i don't think it is the perfect solution.

The perfect solution would be to provide the perfect amount of air and the perfect amount of fuel at all times. I would think that impossible without an on-the-fly fuel quality analysis, predictive software that analyses the car and what you're likely to do next, barometric measurements (pressure, humidity, temperature) - I mean, we'll one day get really close. At that point the diesels won't have any excess fuel in the chamber, it'll burn everything to completion in the power stroke and there'll be no visible emissions.

Until then, the only method of removing diesel particulates from the exhaust stream (which is what everyone complains about - the black diesel soot) is to catch them and burn them completely.

Dpf's catylytic converters euro v emission control get used to it cause it ain't going away any time soon . Use the correct engine oil service frequently and don't be afraid to drive that sucker and light the dpf up , that what it's designed to do !!!

Think the biggest problem is the ones that go to the shops and pickup the kids and don't get hot and run long enough. Soccer mums car!!!!.
A diesel needs to be worked.
My old 2003 jeep with the merc 5cyl got better economy on a long run with a trailer (6x4 van body) on then without the trailer.

Think the biggest problem is the ones that go to the shops and pickup the kids and don't get hot and run long enough. Soccer mums car!!!!.
A diesel needs to be worked.
My old 2003 jeep with the merc 5cyl got better economy on a long run with a trailer (6x4 van body) on then without the trailer.

You hit the nail on the head. I have driven mine hard from day dot. Done 2500k's over a weekend and drove it like I stole it.

Much like the truck I have, same principal and it pulls the same empty as it does with 50 Tonne fully loaded. Diesel engines need to work simple as.

I hope that is true. I want reliability in a 4wd but I can't take it on a 20 minute highway run when I'm in the bush somewhere when the light comes on.

I'm too scared of needing a

It's a passive setup so no light will come on.

When you turn the key on you'll notice the DPF light does not light up because it's a passive setup.
If it was the same as what the D40's had a couple of years ago the light on the dash would light up when the key was turned on and you would have a manual burn off switch between the heated seat buttons on the centre console (STX Version with leather).

Latest posts

Back